Clementine's Garage
Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

Thanks

Peche

Enthusiast
We have just recently been able to get our Renault 4 registered in this country and I would like to extend my thanks to those in this forum who helped us on in our way.

A very welcoming and helpful community.

Ta

Well done. :D

While it's fresh in your mind what's the process? My understanding is arrange insurance based on the chassis number, get an MOT, then fill in a form, go down to the LVLA and have them check the chassis numbers, and they give you the UK registration number. Is there any advise you could give to anyone else registering a car in the UK?

I have one to register within the next few weeks.

Registration Process

You're right about the process.

Insurance through chassis number - be careful though, some companies will charge £200 flat fee to insure you for registration then charge you an annual premium. We used A J Insurance who are underwritten by Aviva. 0844 8806039 will get you David who found policy charging £244 for registration period and years full comp. (3000 miles/year restriction).

For insurance to be valid we had to have fog light and speedo reading MPH fitted (our thanks to Allan)

Get an MOT

Fill in Registration documents - pack from DVLA - and send back with £55 (registration fee) + road tax fee (£66 or £120)
We had a carte grise from previous owner that went with completed documents and ID

They should return registration documents and number plate ref.

Buy number plates at Halfords for about £14.

We didn't have to have the car inspected by anyone official aside from MOT inspector.

Hope this helps - Let me know if you need more details

Paul

Thanks Paul, that's easier than I thought. I'd expected to spend a day driving down to Luton to have someone look at the chassis number. Does seem daft to do that as it's now part of the MOT test to have a mechanic check the numbers.

I'll have to check with my insurance company about the speedo. While it's a legal requirement to have it in mph, it's not something that gets checked at the MOT.

Your insurance seems a little expensive. My UK RHD GTL is £120 with Direct Line as a normal car with comprehensive cover. They don't like more modern LHD cars though. Performance Direct quoted me something half sensible for my nutty Gordini powered R4 project (£250 ish for every day and business use). I'm with Hagerty for my LHD '65 car as they aren't in a hurry for me to get it registered in the UK - lucky as the engine is out just now. About £120 limited mileage but I can't drive it to work. They've invited me to a Classic car meeting. I'm astonishingly old though - nearing 36.

Did you end up buying the white car from Anna?

Insurance

You might be right about the expense of insurance but I think they have you over a barrel. You can't get the car registered without an insurance certificate, and they know it, so they charge for it. But you may have better luck than us.

Yes I did get the car from Anna - needed some work on it but we found a willing and helpful mechanic. He brought some enthusiasm to the table which paid dividends.

Did you get yours from Torsten? Cause I had my eye on that one

I brought mine back from the south of France. Here she is. Completely rust free, but has turned out to need a fair bit of mechanical fettling. Engine is out just at the moment, and a suspension rebuild coming up.

That £200 flat fee for insurance through chassis number is very sly. I bought a Renault 16 in Nice in 2005. I took out a classic car policy with AXA in Dublin before I flew to collect the car. They insured it on its french registration number and issued me with an amended cert when I registered the car in Ireland. The premium is very reasonable too: €220. Cars must be 30 years old though but additional cars may be added for a very small fee. May be worth checking with them.

Best of luck to you both.

PS: Ornella is a beauty!

Back