Clementine's Garage
Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

The R4 is alive again and going to MoT

Niels Svane

Renault 4TL '83, 1B1 845cc engine, Ducellier diz
Hi everyone - I hope you all are coping and enjoying some time to tinker in the garages around the world.

My own little french-coffin is now ready for it's MoT (has to be before the 7th of April). Because of the cold weather I haven't repainted any bodyparts, thus everything have just been re-attached along with the carb and it's present air-filter from a Norton motorcycle....
I only had to re-wire the lights a bit and tighten the handbrake by moving it's mounting bracket one notch. So now everything is fine and dandy and the first run for 6 months yesterday was incredible. After 6 years it's really become a part of my identity, and I'm presently trying to get sell my volvo S60 off, to just drive the R4 and mc's once again (the simple life).

Later when it heats up outside I'll give everything a thick layer of epoxy-base, stone chip-paint, and the original beige (renault daim). Then the tuning bits will come on, and the brakes overhauled (but it's really not necessary yet).

Have fun outthere!

• r4_1.jpg
    r4_1.jpg
    111.2 KB · Views: 3
  • R4_2.jpg
    R4_2.jpg
    107.8 KB · Views: 2
Didn't pass, but only small stuff needs mending the next month until re-mot'ing it:
- The insides of the front-lights needs replacing, and the lights need swapping (don't know when they have been swapped in the first place :S ).
- Two front steering ball joints needs replacing due to wear of the rubber manchets.

Aand that's all :D Even passed the CO test with a rather dodgy airfilter setup.

So, today it passed it's re-MoT with flying colours in 5 minutes :)
The inspection-guy adjusted the lights perfectly himself, and that was it.
But what a weekend! The replacement of ball-joints included a lot of whacks with a hammer, and this apperently loosened the old and brittle brake-shoe surfaces, so going home the front left wheel suddenly shook and sounded very strange. After a roadside inspection, I had to drive back to my moms place using only engine brake (15 km). The day after I drove 2x 110 km to get my replacement brakes, and then after a ton of fiddling it was mended and I could return home for the MoT.
It starts and runs great as ever, but I will inspect the valve-timing, change the oil etc. while grinding, painting and rustproofing :)

Back