Clementine's Garage
Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

The Sage Saga

A happy ending to this saga, or maybe just a new beginning - passed the MOT this morning with no advisories!

And it was so satisfying and enjoyable to finally get to drive it on the open road. I was going to wait to tax it on the 1st of November but I might rethink that..........

Hi Sage. I know what you mean about brakes. I have a 66 MGB roadster as well as the R4's. It has front discs but it does not stop nearly as well as my modern Passat. It has good discs, good pads , good master cylinder and brakes all good but the brakes 50 years ago were just not as good or big or powered as they are now, and its something you have to get used to in positioning yourself in traffic. Modern cars will stop in a much shorter distance, which means all the cars in front of you will stop more quickly than you, and unless you leave space you will stop 150 mm inside someones boot.

Hi Sage. I know what you mean about brakes. I have a 66 MGB roadster as well as the R4's. It has front discs but it does not stop nearly as well as my modern Passat. It has good discs, good pads , good master cylinder and brakes all good but the brakes 50 years ago were just not as good or big or powered as they are now, and its something you have to get used to in positioning yourself in traffic. Modern cars will stop in a much shorter distance, which means all the cars in front of you will stop more quickly than you, and unless you leave space you will stop 150 mm inside someones boot.

Yes, I agree, although older cars does make one develop the long-lost skill of anticipation when driving them..... Leaving a decent gap becomes a habit, too!

Back