Clementine's Garage
Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

Thermostat

The4seeker

Enthusiast
Does anyone know if the R4 will run okay without a thermostat. I know some cars will have cooling issues if one isn't fitted.
Thanks

The GTL really needs the thermostat - it would never get warm if the big aluminium radiator was set to work cooling down the tiny heat generated by the low power engine. The heater would never work, running on cold oil wouldn't help the bearings and you'd need choke all day etc.

Don't think it would overheat without a thermostat like some cars, but have never tried it so can't be certain. That's where a temperature gauge would help.

Cars are designed to run at an optimum temperature to burn the fuel mixture efficiently and as Clementine says to keep the oil warm and to work the heater properly. This is what the themostat does. If you feel there is a problem with the thermostat then simply replace it. They're cheap and readily available from any motor factors because the same ones are common to many other makes and models. You can get summer and winter ones which allow the cooling system to maintain higher temperatures during the winter months and cooler temps in the summer months. Another common problem is the radiator fan switch. Check it out, if you're having overheating problems after renewing your thermostat then this is the next likely cause!

It seems that my black R4's thermostat doesn't work properly. The heating works random, sometimes more or less ok and sometimes it is blowing cold air. The choke must be used most of the time.

My question would be which thermostat to buy since I see few of them on franzose.de? What is the correct temperature span for the GTL?

84 degrees should be OK for the weather conditions in your country.

Back