Clementine's Garage
Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

timing belt tensioner

snglea

Hi, hope someone can help, we need a new timing belt tensioner, but our local garage is finding it hard to locate one, we need the type that has a single bolt through it, not the 2 bolt type, thank you in advance.

Hello, it would be useful to know which car and model and year you are referring to because the Renault 4 does not have a timing belt.

Sorry, but the information that's needed is the model (get the number off the oval plate), engine number, cubic capacity of the engine and anything else you feel is relevant.

Hi, I've found the oval plate, the info on it is. R1126 then 43100 then 047467 Thank you.

• P5180023.jpg
    P5180023.jpg
    69.7 KB · Views: 154
Ok, I've been through my manual and it appears your engine is 845cc. There have been three types of tensioner fitted over the years and yours is a simple mechanical type. Has your garage found the correct part numbers of the 3 main items needed (coller, slipper arm and spring) based on the oval pale numbers and the engine number? Have they tried ordering direct from Renault? as these parts should still be available. Hopefully you are fitting a new timing chain as well?

Thank you very much for your help, I will give the garage the info off the oval plate, it may help him locate one.

R1126 means 782 cc, all of these had hydraulic tensioners...better send us a photo of the tensoner itself and also the engine number.

seem to remember about 1975/6 renault used clockwork spring type for a short period on several types of renault they all went wrong so had to be changed back to hydraulic 2 bolt type
there was a technical supplement issued which was supposed to be added to the back page of dealers workshop manual detailing list of modded parts
think there is an oil feed blocked off which is needed for oil supply on tensioner and a dferent back plate

maybe some one has dead 845 engine to rob bits from ??

Back