Clementine's Garage
Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

Timing etc for 956cc

jennyjoseph

Can anyone help - I know very little about such things - my husband knows a bit more but he's too busy under the bonnet to stop a ask for help:rolleyes:

We have a R4 GTL with a 956cc engine, a Ducellier distributor, Zenith carb and he needs to know such things as the point gap and any thing else that might help it run a bit more smoothly..........

update - he's now tighten down the air screw and she's running great - will this last:confused:

also can anyone explain why, when after fiddling with the distributor cap and running fine, I should come along and take out the keys, leave it for 10 minutes and then she wouldn't start at all. There was power from the ignition, we bumped her, no problem and then she started fine umpteen times until we took the keys out again then nothing?

thank you in advance from a family about to go to Africa in 'the Pinky Ponk' - trying hard to be an enthusiast!

There is some information about timing and points gap here: http://www.renault4.co.uk/tech-points.htm (for the 1108cc engine)

I don't have a manual to cover the 956cc engine - probably worth picking one up while you are still in France.

If the starter motor didn't turn when it's likely to be a fault with the solenoid. It's best to replace the starter with a new one as they are a pain to remove so you'll only want to do it once.

It does sound like the starter motor solenoid, Its the one thing on the Left Hand drive cars, that is a ****er to change!

I'd perhaps be looking at getting a new starter motor fitted before you set off, as replacing it with a second hand one could be a flase economy!

Back