Clementine's Garage
Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

Tips for buying

rogermunns

Enthusiast
Hello all; I'm thinking of buying a 1983 4L (not sure anything else about car - engine size for example).
The car is for sale by a small bodyshop garage and on the face of it is in exceptional condition, but with high miles. 230000km = about 145000miles.
It is in the common beige colour and has been resprayed by the shop. I don't know about the chassis and other potential rust-potential areas. I reckon it is not expensive at €1200 (£950).
Could someone please give me some guidance as to what I should look at in order of importance (i.e. what problems would be the most costly to repair. I'm at an age now where I don't really want to do too much work on cars - been there, done it all.

Thank you. I did look at the guide regarding buying and, as a result, have today bought a TL from a local bodyshop.

Resprayed, no obvious damage, new CT (MoT) to be supplied, no rust in the places you can get problems with. Pretty good vinyl seats, headling like new.............

Only downside I could see was that 3 of the sliding windows have no knobs/locks.

Engine 230000km is a lot, but started immediately, tick over smooooooooooth.

One owner from new, 1983. Paid €1150. Am very pleased. But my wife says she will never be seen dead in it.

Sounds brilliant - do post some photos of your R4.

The stick-on window catches often fall off. If you have the catches they can be glued back on with a soft glue like araldite, but not with hard glues like superglue which could break the glass. The earlier cars had a hole in the glass the catches were screwed through. Much easier to work with if you can find a car in a scrap yard.

One owner from new, 1983. Paid €1150. Am very pleased. But my wife says she will never be seen dead in it.

That sounds great! I feel so happy when somebody joins the R4 club ;)

P.S. When I got my driving licence I was all happy about, young and ambitious... I met a girl at a bar, we talked a lot and I offered to drive her to another bar, when we walked up to R4 she didn't want to get in :D I felt really bad :(

The stick-on window catches often fall off. If you have the catches they can be glued back on with a soft glue like araldite, but not with hard glues like superglue which could break the glass. The earlier cars had a hole in the glass the catches were screwed through. Much easier to work with if you can find a car in a scrap yard.

A far better way is to use the special bonding agent used for glued-on inside mirrors. But the catch pin must be perfectly smooth flat and clean before applying it.

Back