Clementine's Garage
Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

Torsion Bar spanners

These look like GTL ones - somebody needs to buy them and to lend/hire them out to fellow members when they need them to adjust their suspension.

Please snap them up now - these are rare!!!!!

According to Haynes SUS311 is the tool uses on front torsion bars from 1978 onwards. If you look at page 321 of the Haynes manual it will show the tool and another one used that can be made up.
I'm not sure about the smaller size tool but if they are cheap enough, somebody needs to buy them!!

I have the proper renault tool if anyone wants to borrow it...trouble is its quite a big bar so it would cost a fortune to post...

Depends how much use they will get. Bear in mind that just about everybody's 4 will end up sagging a bit on the driver's side in due course so these tools will provide an easier method of removing the bar in order to turn it round another spline and to raise the car enough to make it level.
I know some clubs lend out tools for a hefty deposit and an amount to cover the cost of the tools. I agree with this as some people would not return them - but I would never expect any R4 owner on this forum to be like that;)

When I was an apprentice way back in the late 1960's, a mechanic had a notice on his toolbox saying "The man who lends tools is out today, he is looking for the tools he lent out yesterday"

A bit like the notice in a pub saying "Free beer tomorrow"

According to Haynes SUS311 is the tool uses on front torsion bars from 1978 onwards. If you look at page 321 of the Haynes manual it will show the tool and another one used that can be made up.
I'm not sure about the smaller size tool but if they are cheap enough, somebody needs to buy them!!

They can be used on earlier torsion bars, the octagon size is exactly the same. Not sure about pre-69 bars, though.

Angel-How's about you check with your buddy down the machine-shop..he made a nice job with the towing-eye.Did he use water-jet or plasma to cut it? He may be able to make up some of these for a reasonable price if sufficient-orders came in..
How sturdy does it Have to be? is it likely to be used more than in a blue moon? -R.

Some 10 years ago I came across an original Facom torsion bar tool at a Renault garage, and the ownler kindly allowed me to take a drawing of it. Then I went to my friendly local plasma cutting workshop and had it made. As the only material available was Ck37 steel, not too strong, I opted for 20mm thickness (the original tool is thinner but made of chrome-vanadium).
Our main concern is that the octagon sides are not parallel but tapered. I was lucky enough to hear that the plasma cutter does not cut dead squarely at such great thicknesses, but even after this, the tool I finally used was the second one made, and did get some filing in the octagon.
After this minor trouble, however, the tool has served me amazingly well, and it's up to the job even for professional use. I had also made a copy of Sus.28 tool, which has worked equally well, and torsion bar removal/repositioning is an easy one person job since then!

I can ask about having it made again, now that we have a working prototype it will be much easier to copy this one. I don't think downsizing it will be good, even if it is used only occasionally.
Is anybody else interested?

Hi there Angel-I even think the one on LBC is a copy as I've seen them on there b4.
-If people on here know their visiting-hours I recon' they will see sense in letting you
know their interest in one-as you say sooner or later the 4 Will sag so it's a dandy tool having around for when it's time. Heck -the Brit-team could even chip in on a shared tool. Anyhoo-put me down for one and lets see how it goes. -R.

Depending on cost, I'd be interested. There's a few of us down here doing a bit and could do with one every now and then.

Geoff

Reidar the LBC tool is not the original (it says somewhere laser cut).

Geoff, is the anchor lever on pre-69 cars octagon shaped, too? Can you measure the AF distance, to check if the tool will also fit these cars?

Has anyone bought these yet? Cheers for the thread Steve. Who ever buys them I'm up for renting them for a weekend...

I would be interested dependant on cost, I bought something similar, a month ago, for my split and it cost £12 inc postage, I could always ask if he can make them. I belive it was made in 10mm steel of some type, would that be strong enough?

From LBC

2110352202.jpg

Reidar the LBC tool is not the original (it says somewhere laser cut).

Geoff, is the anchor lever on pre-69 cars octagon shaped, too? Can you measure the AF distance, to check if the tool will also fit these cars?

Yes Angel, the early ones are octagonal. Across the flats it is 32mm at the narrow end (yellow) and 34mm at the wider end (blue).

• Front Anchor.jpg
    Front Anchor.jpg
    34.8 KB · Views: 106
Back