Clementine's Garage
Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

Transmission clunk

Hewshotter

Enthusiast
My F6 van has developed a significant clunk whenever power is applied or eased off especially when changing gear, but also if the throttle is lifted quickly. Sounds like its coming from the front left of the engine bay.

I assumed it was a worn engine mount as it seems to be accompanied by a significant amount of fore and aft movement in the gear stick. However, after a quick look at the engine mounts on either side of the block, they seem to be OK. Is there another at the front that I've missed?

If not engine mounts, can the wise ones of the R4 Forum suggest the best place to start my search? (Ideally without having to lift the engine out and start stripping the transmission just to identify the problem).

Thanks.

It's commonly the gearbox mount (gearbox to front crossmember). The actual clunk would most likely be the exhaust hitting the inner wing. Though it could be the gearbox bouncing off the metal limiters in the mount.

Swapping them is easy - just need to remove the guard under the gearbox and support the weight of the gearbox with a jack. Then unbolt the old one and bolt in the new.

Thanks Malcolm. I'll have a more careful look at the weekend. Any tips on teh best place to pick up a replacement mount?

I don't know for sure. Try Der Franzose - they might have reproduction mounts, but they'll likely be made in India and won't last so long. Renault still supply original parts, but they tend to add a 1000% markup.

Check yours is broken first - If it is it's probably metal against metal.

Hi,
the renault part number is 7700546313 RRP £81.90. GTL MODEL
I can get them at trade price for £69.62

if you want one i can order it..

cheers
andrew

Back