Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

Transporting a R4

Bertl

Goißatreiber
Hi everybody,

I'm trying to find another R4 again after some years of abstinence, and some of the French ones on Ebay look tempting.
As I'm not sure I want to risk driving back a long distance in a car I'm not familiar with and I'm not too keen on doing the trip with a trailer either, I'm thinking about renting a 3,5t van.
Is it possible transporting a R4 in, say, an Iveco Daily?

Thanks, Robert

Nope won't fit in between the wheel arches!

The only van I've ever seen a car driven into was the old, ie pre 1996 VW Lt. Even then that was only a mini and I doubt if the 4 would fit in as its far longer.

I was speaking to a guy named Chris the other day about some bits for my Range Rover and he told me that he goes to France often delivering/ picking up Range Rovers. Give him a ring on 07593091301. Good luck.Ed

Thanks

Thanks for your answers ... I had forgotten about the wheel arches. The transport would/will be to Germany, so "french connection"'s contact might be the wrong man - thanks all the same.
Once I find "my" R4 I might just go for the drive, albeit with an accompanying vehicle.

Robert

I drove one 1500km home from Avignon a few weeks ago. I quite enjoyed the trip. Much more fun than transporting the car. But it would have made sense to take some tools to set the timing and fix the carburettor before the drive. Also I found the engine had no oil.

Worth being careful - some of the earlier cars are registered as collectors cars and are exempt from the CT. I'm having to replace a lot of suspension parts as well as fixing things like the horn for the UK MOT test.

South of France is a good place to buy them - mine is rust free. :D

We sold an 850 cc one back in the summer to someone who came all the way from Latvia to pick it up - 2400 km to us, then 3000 km back as he was on holiday, a brave fellow!!
One alternative might be to ask some of the kind people on this forum who live in France to look out for one for you.

Picking up on Malcoms point, if a car is registered as a Collectors car, I think there is still a limitation in France that you can only drive the car to the neighbouring depts unless you get permission. I think there has been talk of this law being changed recently.

Pepper, I had seen the ad before, that's a really nice car. I'm in the process of clearing up a few (not necessarily car related) projects (anyway: anyone interested in a Fuego which is good for repair? ;) ), and then I'll go for a R4.
It was good to read about the CT exemption for collector's car, I'll bear that in mind and southern France definitely seems the place to go.

Robert

The rules regarding collectors cars are changing from January, to get a Carte Grise collection cars will need to be over 30 years old, there will be a CT (simpler than the normal one) every 5 years and the restriction on using them out of area will disappear.

Its not difficult to get a CT here, so be very wary!

That sounds like a good change in the rules. I'm very very happy with my new Renault (it's rust free), but there was work done that would have had no chance of passing a CT, never mind the UK MOT at my local test station. And some of the problems made it less enjoyable to drive.

A test every 5 years should hopefully improve the standard of repairs on these cars.

Hi rogermunns,
again, a lovely car. I'll best explain what I'll be looking for - so you don't think of me as being finicky :rolleyes:
I had three TLs altogether so far, so I reckon it's time for a GTL - I want the disc brakes and the supposedly lower fuel consumption as compared to a TL.
I would very much like to have the pre-83 instrument panel and dash, but I think this is mutually exclusive with the disc brakes.
I'm going to put the Fuego on Ebay next Monday, that'll be one giant step forward once it's gone.
I don't want to spend too much on the Renault 4 initially, but I'll have to find the balance between initial price and repairs/spares needed.
All that being said, what's the Forum's inhabitants' opinion on Ebay France auction no. 130271268498 ? I sent an email to the owner with questions about corrosion and asking for more pictures as the immatriculation date and bonnet don't seem to match. So far, I haven't received an answer. Might be my French :eek:
If things get more serious, I'll try phoning them.

All the best
Robert

Ooooh Ian ... now you've done it!

May I tell SWMBO that it's all your fault? I want them all ... the 16s, the 5s, the 6s, the 12s, the 17s ... I feel a bout of RAS (Renault acquisition syndrome) coming up! :D

Anyway, leboncoin seems a good place to watch. I'll have to sort out re-registration issues in Germany beforehand, but this should be do-able.

Robert

Back