Clementine's Garage
Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

Troubles running

Richnd1974

Enthusiast
It's been a while since I've had the 4 out, today looked nice and so backed her out of the garage under choke and started and ran fine, warmed up pushed choke in and set off but didn't get far, just won't rev, if I go super gentle on the throttle it does climb up the revs but still struggles, I'm suspecting float needle is blocked or sticking, any ideas?? Cheers Richard

It'll be a blocked main jet. If you pull the top of the carb off you'll see a brass jet at the bottom of the float chamber. It can be removed with a screwdriver for cleaning if you remove the brass bolt at the end of the float chamber for access.

All fixed, stripped the carb down, cleaned all the jets and found what looked like a tiny strand of thread in the main jet, bit odd, but cleaned out with carb cleaner, replaced the float jet and diaphragm and gaskets, replaced the main gasket and lower one, bolted back on, connected the cables and hey presto started after a few cranks and purrs like a Renault kitten. Quick 40 minute job and happy it's running again

Back