Clementine's Garage
Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

tyres.

edwin

Enthusiast
Hi all. I am looking for 4 tyres for my 1972 R4. The book says 135x70x13. However these are not currently being made, and the suggested alternative is a 145x70x13. There are several types available from £55 upwards inc tube and fitting.
However I recall reading somewhere that there may be an issue with the larger tyres rubbing on certain hub/brake arrangements, Can anyone enlarge on that please. My car is a 1972 basic model, 782cc, and I dont know what brakes are on the car.

thanks

Check out in Poland-
if I'm not wrong -many tyres in the correct size is manufactured over there..Uniroyal/Sava etc.etc -Sava Quiet and Just right with Good comfort
Just stay away from Continental as they are Grossly overpriced and Grossly overrated and wears out rather quickly and Dangerous when wet!
-MY opinion! -Reid

I'd go for tyre size 135x80x13 from top brands like Hancook, Uniroyal at an average price of € 50 per tyre.
Continental as @reidalpine is indeed totally rubish as any other brand with inferior names.

If you go wider I would go lower to 70 so 145x70x13. Wider tires do not always mean better, the wider the heavier, more consumption and less road contact due to the light weight of the R4.

Sadly Goodyear doesn't produce them anymore but you can still find Goodyear 135SR13 rally tires on leboncoin
1713594868756.png

Last edited:
I run 145/80/R13 on all of mine. Uniroyal RainExpert are my current favourites. This makes the tyres slightly larger diameter than the originals but the speedometer is accurate. There should be no rubbing problems with 145 tyres.

Thought I would check Noddy's new tyres, and he is fitted with Michelin 145/80/R13's. Although I was a bit shocked when I checked the manufacturing date on them was 2007 ! And probably fitted when he was restored. And even more shocked that the new Michelin price of these is now £168.00 each !
They recommend that you should change tyres after 10 years, but I won't bother as the walls are not cracked.

20240420_150321.jpg

I run 145/80/R13 on all of mine. Uniroyal RainExpert are my current favourites. This makes the tyres slightly larger diameter than the originals but the speedometer is accurate. There should be no rubbing problems with 145 tyres.
Thanks Malcolm

Back