Clementine's Garage
Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

Valve problem?

rogermunns

Enthusiast
After sorting out the timing and adjusting the carburettor I was still left with difficult starting (needed a minute of churning). And also poor running (sounds like on 3 cyls., poor pick up at low revs).
Garage now say it may be stuck valve on number 1 (they say they did comp. test, altho' I never saw results).
Anything I can do to check?
BTW I notice also that #3 cylinder plug is a bit oily.

I've looked up sticky valve on google and have seen some 'rescues' by using cleaners in oil / fuel. What do you think?

A stuck valve is something I've never come across so can't be much help with that. Compression readings would be the key, but I did have problems with exhaust valve recession on an 1108cc engine after driving for 500 miles at top speed.

First thing I would do is check the valve clearances. If a valve has recessed just a little it might be possible to save it by adjusting the clearances to the correct gap.

Ignition leads can cause poor starting and 3 cylinder running. If the leads are old I would replace them. They can cause problems at this time of year.

Malcolm, thanks.

I had a look - to me the head looks new-ish. I had a crude look (cold rain, no garage) and turning over showed no stuck valves. I've only driven the car for 150km; it's always been a bit '3 cylinder-ish'.

I don't have the clearances to hand, but again a quick check seemed to show #1 exhaust might not be opening (i.e. recessed into the head). So I gave that a bit of clearance and will try again tomorrow, if it's a bit better weather.

Haven't got a compression tester, will try with my thumb over the plughole.

Dead scientific, eh?

Back