Clementine's Garage
Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

Valve removal and availability of steel shims under valve spring

Fentible

Enthusiast
1985 Renault 4 TL 1123. I'm refreshing the top end of my Billancourt motor and currently in the process of removing the valves.
I'm finding that my valve spring compressor is struggling to compress the springs, but if I wiggle it under compression, the spring will suddenly compress and the collets get ejected. Its like explosive decompression. I'm assuming that the collets are binding on the retaining collar. Is that usual? Once released, my compressor can easily compress the springs.

Secondly, someone has been in here before me, a couple of different style head bolts and out of the 5 valves I have so far removed I'm missing 2 of the steel shims that fit between the spring and the cylinder head. Where do I get these from?

Many thanks for any advice.

George

The normal sources for shims would be Melun, Franzose or Mecaparts. If they don't have then then probably finding someone with a used engine. Or an eBay search to see if any other cars have similar parts.

I've not had trouble with removing the collets but the cylinder head shape is awkward for my valve compressor. If the valve compressor can touch the cylinder head you could get a side load preventing the collets from releasing. Maybe try it going around the other side of the head.

This is quite normal because the collets are tapered and fit in a tapered bore in the valve retainer. To compress the springs gradually and prevent the collets from flying out, screw the spring compressor with a very light preload, then tap the spring end of the compressor with a plastic mallet until you feel that the retainer pops off the collets. You can then compress the spring the normal way.
Best source for these shims is an engine reconditioning shop, taking an old one with you as a pattern.

/l
The normal sources for shims would be Melun, Franzose or Mecaparts. If they don't have then then probably finding someone with a used engine. Or an eBay search to see if any other cars have similar parts.

I've not had trouble with removing the collets but the cylinder head shape is awkward for my valve compressor. If the valve compressor can touch the cylinder head you could get a side load preventing the collets from releasing. Maybe try it going around the other side of the head.
Hi Malcolm, thank you. You were right, I had the valve compressor slightly off centre. As soon as I centred it inline with the valve, springs compressed easily. No listings on any of the suppliers for the shim. Ill have to look for a broken motor.

This is quite normal because the collets are tapered and fit in a tapered bore in the valve retainer. To compress the springs gradually and prevent the collets from flying out, screw the spring compressor with a very light preload, then tap the spring end of the compressor with a plastic mallet until you feel that the retainer pops off the collets. You can then compress the spring the normal way.
Best source for these shims is an engine reconditioning shop, taking an old one with you as a pattern.
Hi Angel, Thank you. I got it sorted as per my reply to Malcolm. Still searching for a source for these shims though.

Back