Clementine's Garage
Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

ventilation belt replacement

bennie

Enthusiast
Hi everyone, I'm a new (and happy) R4 owner, thanks to my beloved uncle, who left me his old car.
Thing is that after a month of use, today the temperature light popped up, with some steam coming out from the engine.
I quickly stopped and checked under the engine roof, seeing the water dispenser boiling and noticing a broken belt.
I ain't no mechanic and neither an expert, but deduced that the things were connected.
here's a picture of the broken belt, and i was guessing which belt i have to buy, the car is from the 1987 and i can't manage to read any informations on the belt side..

thanks for any help in advance, i'm kinda feared to break the car, and will not use it until i manage to change the belt.

bests,
bennie

• photo_2017-10-05_22-20-08.jpg
    photo_2017-10-05_22-20-08.jpg
    106 KB · Views: 2
http://www.renault4onderdelen.nl/Webwinkel-Category-9113743/Welke-V-snaar.html

Look at the top two pictures to work out how the belt has to fit.

Slacken the tension on the tensioner, the wheel in the front of your own picture.
Slacken the tension on the alternator. Take the belt of the alternator and work it trough the fan blades and of the engine. Take the new belt and work it through the fan blades onto the wheel closest to the engine over the wheel that is almost inside the gearbox and over the tensioner wheel.
After that put tension on the tensioner again.
Now put the other belt on again and put tension on the alternator.

I hope this makes sense to you.

i eventually managed to put the new belt, but suddenly the car stopped to turn on.
i just hear the "click" but the engine doesn't start, lights and ventilation work, but the engine seems dead now.
the annoying temperature icon is now off, and i was guessing if the steam that came out some days ago could have oxidized something (turbine connections?).

thanks again harbourseal, thanks to your directions i managed to change the belt!

Hi Bennie - I'm not a mechanic either but the click may be the starter motor is not operating properly??? I live just over the border in France (Sospel) - so quite close to you.

Hi Bennie - I'm not a mechanic either but the click may be the starter motor is not operating properly??? I live just over the border in France (Sospel) - so quite close to you.

i live near Ventimiglia, but right now i'm stuck in Genoa..
Tomorrow i'll ask a mechanic to check it and by the way also the battery died (i guess) cause the dashboard doesn't light up and neither the ventilator works anymore.

Back