Clementine's Garage
Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

Voltmeter on 1980 GTL and a temperature gauge

Eccles60

First Renault 4 after 40 years waiting
Just reading a contemporary road test for a 1980 GTL in a March Autocar of that year. It has the older dash not the one my '86 version has but it says it has a voltmeter - really? I have two questions: why did they drop it (cost)?, and why didn't they fit a temp gauge instead (cost)? I'm thinking of fitting a period but aftermarket temp gauge - any suggestions, will a sensor just screw in to the pump? What size thread?

The voltmeter fitted from '76 up to '83 was a thermal one, very slow moving and crude in its reading. Not coincidentally it was fitted on other french cars of the time-1st generation 5 Alpine was criticized for having this pretty useless voltmeter but no temperature gauge! Sounds to me that is something having to do with either their instrument suppliers (mostly Jaeger) or alternator / control box suppliers.
In my opinion, any car should be fitted with a charge warning light (insead of voltmeter) and a low oil pressure light (insead of gauge). You can't have your eyes pinned on the instrument panel all the time, and all you want to know is that the battery has stopped being charged or that there is no oil pressure.

You can substitute the water temperature warning light sensor with a gauge sensor, thread is M18x1.50. Most aftermarket water temperature gauge kits come with an external ("contact") sensor, which is not as accurate but is often the only possible solution. If you already have a temperature gauge make sure the sensor you will buy matches it, different makes have different operating resistances.

The voltmeter fitted from '76 up to '83 was a thermal one, very slow moving and crude in its reading. Not coincidentally it was fitted on other french cars of the time-1st generation 5 Alpine was criticized for having this pretty useless voltmeter but no temperature gauge! Sounds to me that is something having to do with either their instrument suppliers (mostly Jaeger) or alternator / control box suppliers.
In my opinion, any car should be fitted with a charge warning light (insead of voltmeter) and a low oil pressure light (insead of gauge). You can't have your eyes pinned on the instrument panel all the time, and all you want to know is that the battery has stopped being charged or that there is no oil pressure.

You can substitute the water temperature warning light sensor with a gauge sensor, thread is M18x1.50. Most aftermarket water temperature gauge kits come with an external ("contact") sensor, which is not as accurate but is often the only possible solution. If you already have a temperature gauge make sure the sensor you will buy matches it, different makes have different operating resistances.
Thanks for your detailed reply, much obliged to you.

Quite agree. Also, with more gauges a natural worrier (me) is then worrying about the actual levels of whatever, instead of just enjoying being out and about in a lovely old Renault.

Back