Clementine's Garage
Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

Wanted: reliable, tidy, underpriced R4...

YDub

No longer looking for reliable, tidy, underpriced R4...

Please disregard thread - no longer looking! Thanks for the replies!

Hi, I'm looking for an 80s GTL that can be used daily without too much (any would be great!) tinkering other than normal maintenance. It needs to be solid underneath (I can't weld), have rear seat belts (or if you could point me in the right direction for fitting them) and it would be a lovely bonus if it has paintwork that glimmers in the summer sunshine.

Many thanks, Yann.

p.s. has anyone dealt with Lavie Auto before? (http://www.carandclassic.co.uk/car/C12753)

Last edited:
Thanks Bluebell - I have had a look and been coveting the amazing choice, price and quality of the cars... only problem is finding the time to do it as most of the good ones seem to be in the South...

Having said that I suppose it's quite cheap to fly out there and could be quite fun... on the other hand, some parts of France are more remote than others and as I have two under 5s, it would have to be a trip done alone rather than a family outing.

Finally, how expensive/difficult is it to register a French car over here?

Thanks again,

Yann.

I don't think it's expensive - the cars are over 10 years old so there's no need for any certification (other than an MOT test), and on top of that registration fees which if I recall correctly are about £50.

For the MOT you need to fit a fog lamp on the RHS (post '83 cars) and alter the headlamps to UK spec (there's a page in the tech tips section). If the MOT is really fussy you'll need stick on labels on the speedo for mph.

There are a few French imports kicking around. One on eBay at the moment. They seem generally to be less rusty than UK cars.

Hi, I'm looking for an 80s GTL that can be used daily without too much (any would be great!) tinkering other than normal maintenance. It needs to be solid underneath (I can't weld), have rear seat belts (or if you could point me in the right direction for fitting them) and it would be a lovely bonus if it has paintwork that glimmers in the summer sunshine.

Many thanks, Yann.

p.s. has anyone dealt with Lavie Auto before? (http://www.carandclassic.co.uk/car/C12753)

im selling an 84 gtl, very reliable, been used daily, 5 months mot, short tax, mechanically sound, bodywork excellent..very reasonable price, 07896 464 517 bryan

Almost went for this: might interest someone else out there!

Only one hour to go!!!!

Looks very, very nice to my untrained eyes - what say you, O wise ones?

My father has a red GTL for sale if you're interested? long MOT and solid above and below. He'd probably do a deal with some spares thrown in too

Back