MATTT

Enthusiast
still in 2 minds
ive used the link and joined up with the Mig froum of here
had some helpful advice so ive got the list down to 2 welders now

the clarke 160Te with comes with the regulator the use the bigger bottles

or a portamig 181 ( ithink)

2 things im undecided on,the portamig is really a lot more money,about 300 more
as im only a hobby welder,mostly car panel repairs although by no means a old hand yet,still a bit of a novice, i dont know if i can justify this extra amount,but the other hand is its 20amp setting and easier to use and from what ive read a better welder all round then the clarke,which it should be really at the price difference

also the weight as i do tend to use it in different places the portamig is abuot 60kg with the wire as opposed to 40kg for the clarke.A have to lug it in the back of my car by myself which is do-able but bit of a lump

im leaning towards the portamig but was wondering if anyone off here has had both

I've had both. Started out with a Clarke 155t (similar to the 160TE) and replaced it with a Portamig 181 (now 185).

The Portamig is very easy to learn with. I've had friends pick up welding to a reasonable standard in an afternoon using it. It's very forgiving, consistent, and performs very well. The difference between 20 and 30 amps is fairly minimal - only 0.1 or 0.2mm of steel in thicknesses around 1mm. Wouldn't even consider trying to lift it into a car by myself - I had trouble lifting mine out of the box it came in - far too heavy.

The Clarke is slightly more fiddly to use - the arc isn't as stable and the wire feed not as predictable, but it is probably the best of the bunch in that price range. I restored a few cars with mine including the R4. Seemed to take more setting up and fiddling with to get it going nicely (much finer range where it works well), but get it on the sweet spot and it does work well. Much more of the sort of thing you could lift into a car.

For lots of welding the Portamig would be nicer to use. For occasional welding the Clarke would be fine - it's not like those eBay welders that don't work at all.

i think im going to go for the portamig,just need to get the rest of the money together first
i m a bit worried about lifting it in the back of the car still
im heard back from weldequipt thats its around 47kg without wire
which is just about do able on my own-might have to take teh spool of wire off though if i get the big one !
plus the bottle i guess

thanks for both your replies
matt

I have a MIG 145A, and untill today i did't have any problems with weldings.
But this welding machine is for welding steels with thickness under 1.5 mm

The welding machine is made by Varstroj (slovenia)

I'd carry on leaning towards the Portamig Matt, if funds will allow. Talk on the welding forum led me to buy one off that awfully nice Mr Weldequipe and, shazam!, all of a sudden I could weld. I'm certainly not saying I could ever make a living at but pre Portamig on various mates machines I was just utter and complete Pants. I find it a very 'forgiving' machine for a beginner if that makes sense

Trust me ( hah!) they are worth it.

regards as always

David
68 R4
Cits various (DS/ Acadiane /Ami 8
68 Mobylette in cream and chrome

ive decided to get one
just will have to wait for a bit as i wasnt planning on spending that much
but id rather wait now instead of buying a cheaper one

still theres plenty of other jobs to do on the car yet!

Back