Clementine's Garage
Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

What car replaced the fantastic 4?

ailbek

Enthusiast
I have read several reviews of renault cars which were produced after the renault 4 ceased production in 1992 but I cannot decide which was the car that replaced this legend.

It was clear that the R4 was a bit of a thorn in Renaults side in the 80's and 90's.They tried to replace it a number of times with other models without success, like the renault 5 which took on its own identity. The renault 6 which was a bit of a disaster! And I think there was a R3.

But the question I am asking is what did eventually do it? Was it the Twingo? This is a popular belief but I am not convinced, it is too far removed.
Was it the Kangoo? It certainly has some vague similarities looks wise but is the Kangoo a van that was turned into a car where the R4 was a car in its own right with a van option.

There was the Extra but this again was just a van which I think never made it to a car. Or has this motoring legend ever being replaced. Is there anyone out there in the know. I would love to read the opinions of other 4 fans!
ailbek

Many people regard the Renault 4 as unsurpassable. The 5 was a different kind of car and existed alongside the 4 for many years.

The rare R3 was produced only in 1961-2 and was a cheaper version of the 4. Not many were sold because the better R4 was not much more expensive. The R3 had a 603cc engine.

To me, the (original) Twingo is too small and impractical (only 3 doors for example) to be a replacement for the 4. The Kangoo is more like the 4 in its usefulness, but to my mind looks like a van turned into a car.

May the 4 be with you!

Hello,

In my opinions is that nobody can't replaced fantastic renault 4. I think that was renault kangoo in this plan. But unfortunately unsuccessful...!

Becouse the r4 was made for French farmer. Not so expensive, a wagon, with a hatch back, and a lot's of space back off the front seats...!
And the engine is indestructible...! Maintenance is quite easy and cheap...!

There is just one 'small' enemy, and this is called rust!

I also think there is no car which can replace the R4, even Renault tried to do that with Twingo or Kangoo, or maybe the Logan which is simple and easy to produce as the R4.
I think there will never be a successor of our lovely R4, today is different than the sixties, seventies or eighties, people want ecological cars, many comfort equipements... Today there is no car in production which will be produced during 33 years as the R4, the news models are usually replaced when they're 5 or 6 years old, and according to me, there is actually no car which will be produced as long as the R4;
(copy of an old book on the R18...)

The Twingo "internally" replaced the R4, as its production was launched when that of the R4 was stopped. Just like the R4 did to the 4CV.
The Kangoo was even advertised by Renault as the modern R4 (unlike the Twingo). In my opinion it's a tribute only to the Fourgons (and don't forget, it's the only today's car with forward opening bonnet).

So the question remains...what is or will be today's R4? :-)

citroen c15 replaced the 4 in the french farmers eyes.

A lot of french farmers around here also run around in Renault Expresses (often ex EDF ones) in various states of decrepitude.
Many Citroen owners consider the 4 to be an almost direct rip off of the 2cv, which does of course predate it by a considerable margin. Not sure whether that sort of 'blasphemy' is repeatable in this company :).

Back