Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

What does you think i should ask for my project R4 F4

Disco-Doug

Enthusiast
Dear All

before i begin i understand that something is only worth what someone is willing to pay,and its like saying how long is a piece of string.

So here goes.

I feel like now due to failing mobility issues,blah blah sad sob story but i need to find a new home for Ethil.

To list the good points. she has a new floor in the cab, the sills are now free of the rust bug, i have replaced (both sides) front inner wings and attached new wings

i have addressed all the body and now she's free of the rust bug.ive owned her for the best part of 15+ years when she took up residence in the shed she ran well

i have all the parts ive taken from her and more.

She is a British van and as such right hand drive,and i havent noticed many of them out there.

the negative points are, she will need a front windscreen and a driver side rear light lense.

it breaks my hart to have to lose her but i just dont have the physical ability so there you go...and ive a credit card bill of a £1000.00 so it would be good if i could clear that.

Many thanks to you all.

Doug xx

pix8.jpg pix 7.jpg pix 6.jpg pix 1.jpg

Not really sure what its worth although easily £1000+ to someone who doesn't mind finishing the job off - and it doesn't look too hard.

I'm curious though, presumably been converted to RHD at some point in its history and was a lhd van to start with as 'F' makes it 1988 and F4 vans weren't imported / sold here / produced in RHD after about 1979. All R4 sales in the UK ended in 1986 and this looks like it was built a couple of years after that!

Anyway, looks like a cracking project, sorry you aren't able to complete it. Good luck with that sale!

Registration date is odd but it is original RHD - the rear door hinges are on the right. Post 1981 from the dash. The rear reversing lights are unusual and might date it to 1984 when the same lights made an appearance on the saloon.

I wonder if it was an Irish market van then? F4 sales in the UK stopped about 1979, when the F6 was launched I think? But the Irish Post Office were heavily into F4s and Ireland is RHD so they were possibly built later? Intriguing either way!

I'm in Mayo in Ireland and I have a 1983 post van and had a1986 green one back in the day. They stopped using them shortly after that but it's possible that they still had some in 1988

I seem to recall one of the European countries- it might have been Belgium- always used RHD F4 post vans because it made collecting mail from street post boxes way safer and easier.

By the way meant to say a great little van, it should be worth a bit to somebody- if I was in the UK I would be keen!

Good evening all thanks for the ad to the forum, I’m the new owner of Dougs van it now resides in Yorkshire awaiting paint work and a gentle re comisioning
Ash
ps Doug is was good to meet you on Sunday we got there in the end my friend

F8680EDE-9665-4DDD-B20F-00701C37980A.jpeg

Back