Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

What engines fit?

safeulli

Enthusiast
Hi,for sure this was asked already , i just try again! what engines fit into
our R 4?
the R5 ones TS ,TX and Alpine or not so easy to get, i there any other engines that fit?
thanks
Ulli

If your car is an 1108cc, the easiest engines to fit are any from the Mk1 Renault 5s except the 850 (before 1984) or the Spanish Renault 7. They will normally fit straight in (automatics and the Alpine engines need a little work).

In the later Renault 5 Mk2 (SuperCinq) the engine has the waterpumps and belts at the wrong end, so those engines would need a lot of modification to fit.

I think the following engines will go straight-ish in..
Motor-code: capacity: Used in:
688D7-12 =1108cc R4 GTL
688E7 -13 =1108cc R5 TL(?)
847 M7-12 =1397cc R5 Auto --need work. Long axle etc.
C2 JP7-13 =1397cc R5 TS/TX
810-25 =1289cc R5TS
810-G-726 = 1289cc R5GTL
C1C-708 = 956cc R4TL
688-11 = 1108cc R4F4&6
C2L = 1565cc (?)

ok-don't take my word as Gospel-check and Doublecheck b4 you rip out what you've got..
-Anyone with more/better info/corrections/ -Please post on here-I won't be(very)upset if proven wrong.
This is a very interesting topic , personally I would be happy if Malcolm organized it as a "Special Topic" I've said it b4 ,I think we all could use a list not only covering motors/engines but other parts from other Renaults (and Peugeots + whatever) that would be a fit when in need to keep the 4 going. Right? -R.

This is a very interesting topic , personally I would be happy if Malcolm organized it as a "Special Topic" I've said it b4 ,I think we all could use a list not only covering motors/engines but other parts from other Renaults (and Peugeots + whatever) that would be a fit when in need to keep the 4 going. Right? -R.

Very nice idea!

Yeah Don't forget that Volvos used Renault engines, and normally in North South orientation, and Dacia use Renault engines too.

Back