Clementine's Garage
Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

What Gear Box Oil

@reidalpine your works was very clear.. Thanks

@angel I bought the 80W.. I hate the smell of gearbox oil eheh

Thanks everyone for the tips, I will put an non recommend oil.

Well after 3 hours yesterday removing the bonnet, rad, and bits and bobs I was joined by my best mate Andy today who has been a mechanic for 30 plus years, we cracked on, removing the wheels. Drive shafts, then moved onto the removing the gearbox, not easy but we managed it with some jiggly pokey, swapped the main seal and the one above, clutch, release bearing and then put it all back together. I should of ordered a new radiotor as its looking a little but warn out but that's for the future, coolant added and shes running like a honey, anyone considering doing it let me know and ill share the tips... Cheers all it's beer time
Richard
I have taken off the bonnet and radiator from my 1982 gtl in readiness for a good clean up but having seen your post and offer I would be grateful for any tips on the clutch replacement. Mine has a long travel on the pedal which makes me think it may be up for renewal.
Thanks
Rob

I know this is an old post, but I'm confused now. In my RTA manual for the later models its says GL4 gearbox oil rather than GL5. My mate who knows about such things says that GL5 is for more modern boxes and has additives that may damage some of the brass bits of older gearboxes.
At the moment its all in the research stage as the plug with a 10 mm square male end on it will not come out, and its proving difficult to find a 10 mm square female socket in Manche, France. I've tried using a Williams superslim spanner (borrowed) with a piece of scaffold tube on it, and thumping it with a lump hammer but no joy yet. It must have been fitted by a rather grumpy gorilla I think.

GL5 oil is usually associated with extreme pressure additives. The R4 gearbox needs them because the same oil lubricates final drive hypoid gears.

Andy - you're right it is the correct one, a visit to Coutances looks as if its in order.

Back