Clementine's Garage
Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

what mach the best temprature engine shold be in the renualt 4?

bennyfire

Enthusiast
what mach the best temprature engine shold be in the renualt 4?
my engeine temp are 85-115 it ok ?
i leave in israel and here it is hot country i thought to to pot unother vent ? want you think ?
thanks
benny

Where is your sender unit being located? If you have it on the place of the original sender switch (on the water pump), 90-105 deg C is OK. Assuming the gauge reads accurately,115 deg seems like overheating. I have placed the sender on my car on the rear of the head where water circulation is much worse and it reads 100-120 deg in summer (Greece, 35+ deg), however as the red "too late lamp" does not light, I know that it is much cooler at the pump. The same error happens when you put an external sender unit on a hot place on the head (near an exhaust passage for example).
Your thermostat is the "hot climate" type that opens at 74 deg. Removing it will not make the engine run cooler! I placed a bet once with a friend of mine about this happening on her R4 and I won...

thanks for your halp
and know my question what are better meter clock the mechanical meter(woth the monetarily) or the elerctric meter ?

Or if you mean the temperature gauge (clock) - mechanical ones tend to be more accurate. The sensor on the Renault 4 is a switch designed to operate a warning light rather than a gauge.

Do you have an 850cc Renault 4? If so then fitting an electric fan from an 1100cc car should help. If you can find the whole radiator that has a switch inside it. In the UK it is possible to buy fans that fit any car (Kenlowe is a common type) and these fans are supplied with a temperature switch that fits into the top hose of the radiator.

I agree with Clementine, capillary gauges are better (but fragile, too). With elactric gauges, there are chances that sender unit will not match to gauge if they are from different manufactureres, so readings will be wrong.
I forgot to say, you should check that the radiator is not blocked, better still to have it rodded as a precaution.
If you have the 850cc engine a good improvement is to fit the whole 1108cc radiator,with electric fan but it isn't too easy, you should replace the bonnet with the later one that has no struts, make a support tower for the gearshift lever and find hoses that will fit...
I have no experience of an electric fan on the small radiator, I am generally against electric fans (!) as the possibility of failure is much greater, and it cannot warn you.

Back