Clementine's Garage
Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

Wheel balancing

Andy McGhee

Enthusiast
Can anyone recommend a garage or tyre place that can balance solid-centre 3-stud wheels (e.g. early TL rims)?
Back in the 70s and 80s, all tyre places had the necessary adaptor!

I can....... but it's in east London, so not a lot of help as you're in Cheltenham! I know a technique that I've used on my Daf 33, which also solid centre 3 stud wheels though; try this:

1/ As the Renault 4 is front wheel drive, this might involve quite a bit of jacking up and lowering.......
2/ Put the wheel you wish to balance on the rear axle, as this will prevent any "drag" from the gears affecting anything.
3/ Slacken off the brakes completely & remove any weights from the wheel rims.
4/ Spin the wheel as hard as you can, listen to confirm the brakes are NOT touching in any way and note the position of the wheel when it stops spinning. If the wheel slowly rotates the other way when it comes to rest, it might need balancing, since this suggests a heavier part at the 6 o'clock position......
5/ Spin the wheel a number of times and note the position of the wheel when it stops each time. If the positions are randomly spread, you're probably O.K., but if the wheel settles with one area at 6 o'clock, the weight needs to be placed opposite, at 12 o'clock.
6/ It's a long process, but it does work.....
7/ Don't forget to put all the wheels back on the axles and tighten the nuts to the appropriate torque settings!

Thanks for that - I remember seeing a video on YouTube that explained the same method (of course, I can't find it at the moment..).
Would still like to hear about tyre places that have the adaptor!

Unless you've already done this, I'd suggest the use of t'internet, and ask "wheel balancing near me", ring the companies and ask them. If they don't offer it, ask for suggestions of those who might.

Back