Clementine's Garage
Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

wheel painting

AaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhH!
Just packed the black with paper tape and painted the surrounding in gray... The paper moved under the spray breeze! The glue is not very good it seems... Now I have some gray under the paper, in the black-should-be areas...
Not good at all. Just waiting for the paint to harden and took away the paper tape, to see the real size of the disaster...

;) Hi Azazello,

this kind of hard job makes me thinking I have did the same many months ago... If it can help someone of this thread...

• 056 Jantes nettoyées.jpg
    056 Jantes nettoyées.jpg
    87.5 KB · Views: 305
  • 155 Jantes poncées.jpg
    155 Jantes poncées.jpg
    62.2 KB · Views: 305
  • 156 Jantes Rustol CIP.jpg
    156 Jantes Rustol CIP.jpg
    60.6 KB · Views: 303
  • 157 Jantes Koba PPG.jpg
    157 Jantes Koba PPG.jpg
    38.3 KB · Views: 310
  • 175 Marouflage jantes.jpg
    175 Marouflage jantes.jpg
    46 KB · Views: 307
  • 176 Jante marouflée.jpg
    176 Jante marouflée.jpg
    58 KB · Views: 309
  • 177 Ponçage jantes.jpg
    177 Ponçage jantes.jpg
    53.6 KB · Views: 309
  • 178 Peinture grise.jpg
    178 Peinture grise.jpg
    48.3 KB · Views: 305
  • 181 Jante 1.jpg
    181 Jante 1.jpg
    71.7 KB · Views: 326
  • 180 Jantes finies.jpg
    180 Jantes finies.jpg
    54.2 KB · Views: 310
I have read your thread, very interesting and detailed, I copied your method of masking with tape the black areas... Some photo of the end of my job:

14 fondo antiruggine e stucco.jpg

15 fondo antiruggine e stucco.jpg

16 nero lucido RAL9005.jpg

17 incartiti gli intagli.jpg

18 grigio pietra RAL7030.jpg

19 cerchio finito.jpg

They are not so precise as yours, but I am satisfied by my first spray painting job...

i am surprised how many of you are also currently doing the same matter as i; i did few weeks ago ask for the paint code for 77-'wheels-no reply.

My (summer) wheels are alike yours "bob86600" and found the fine dunlop stamping on those.One of the wheels is assembled by riveting-i think it must be the spre tyre wheel.

What i did, i apolize that dont have photos here in office, but i did took 5wheels to local sandblasting works(rubbers on) and cost only 5E/pc.
Then i decided to grind visible surfaces with heavy had´nd grinder with rotating steel brush.Then i found that work will be impossible with rubbers on.Took wheels to local tyre changing and took the rubbers off-free of charge! After that i have been grinding the sandblasted surfaces to a shiny level(because a normal sand blasting does not make an even surface) and also edges where tyres are connected.Then zink primer layer+grey primer+final metalgrey primer(not the normal cheap wheel paint but a real cover paint).

i'll put some photos afterwards-not finished yet.

• IMG_4695.jpg
    IMG_4695.jpg
    43.9 KB · Views: 196
  • IMG_4694.jpg
    IMG_4694.jpg
    42.6 KB · Views: 190
  • IMG_4693.jpg
    IMG_4693.jpg
    38.4 KB · Views: 187
  • IMG_4692.jpg
    IMG_4692.jpg
    40.2 KB · Views: 186
  • IMG_4691.jpg
    IMG_4691.jpg
    41.5 KB · Views: 189
Last edited:
I have been looking for many years to find a reference for that silverish colour used on 70's wheels, but it seems no one has any clue... I have a new set of wheels, the style fitted on Savane, Jogging and Sixties (rectangular holes), if their colour was the same as 70s plain wheels, I could take one to a paint shop and find an exact match.

Your approach is the best way to paint wheels, but you don't need to wire brush the wheels after sand blasting them. The slightly rough surface helps the paint layers key in, and you won't notice it on the finished wheel as 2-3 coats of paint (even better if it's primer) will fill it and the wheel will look smooth.

wheel paint

This was found - the same problem must exist around all old car hobbists-
mine were also more greyish than silverish

i did search for the Dunlop steel wheels, because it is obvious that R4 steel wheels were not produced and listed by Renault but by Dunlop which stamping can be found on the wheels.

have been looking for many years to find a reference for that silverish colour used on 70's wheels, but it seems no one has any clue... I have a new set of wheels, the style fitted on Savane, Jogging and Sixties (rectangular holes), if their colour was the same as 70s plain wheels, I could take one to a paint shop and find an exact match.
"I'm restoring a 1958 MG Magnette Varitone to as near showroom as I can get, but I'm having a problem finding the correct colour for the Dunlop Steel Wheels. I know they were silver but from memories of actually seeing brand new rims on the production line, in Coventry, in the 60's, most of the silver paints around now are too "silver". I seem to remember it was more of a silver grey. Obviously any paint code or manufacturer would be enormously helpful!

"Silverhook does a "Steel Wheels" paint which is quite grey"

Hi there, I'm interested to read you have a 58 MG Varitone, a friend of mine has a 54 ZA, lovely car, a pure joy to drive. He actually painted his wheels the same colour as the body, Twilight Grey, because he reckons he has seen period photos of cars painted this way, I'm not so sure as all the cars I've seen in the metal have had silver wheels. Might I suggest the silver paint used on the MGB disc and later Rostyle wheels would perhaps be the colour you are seeking. Sorry I don't know the code, but it might be easier to track down being a bit more recent, and there have been of course a lot more Bs restored than Magnettes so the paint should be available. Good luck with your quest, regards Brian.
I just had a thought, why not try the MG Car Club Z register, they might know.

Back