Clementine's Garage
Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

Wheels on ebay

185's will probably rub, somewhere
I Run 155's with my alloy wheels and they don't rub.
I know that 165's can rub, but not always, because I have a friend who ran 165's and he warned me that his tyres occasionaly rubbed, so I went for 155's and have no problem.
Also, it depends on the 'dishing' of the wheels. That's the axial position of the rim relative to the hub. This can position the tyre further inwards or further outwards.

The wheels look like they have sold now, and for whopping £225.00 or so.
I wonder if it was to a Renault 4 owner?

They might have :)

I figured given there condition - closeness to my current location etc they were worth it.

Having to spend £30 to get to an item then £30 to get home in fuel and a whole day driving gets depressing after a while !

It looks like I can get away with the tyre size as well which is nice as I have a spare set of tyres of the same size on some old Ford Fiesta alloys.

I reckon thats a very decent price. Those turbine wheels can go for good money so considering they have new tyres that looks a pretty good price to me.

They will rub a bit on the back but you should be alright with 185s as long as you don't carry loads of weight around. Don't forget to let us have a picture once fitted!

Yes, I forgot about the tyres, it's a good price.
Yes, please let's have some pictures.
Please do let me know how you get on with the 185's, if you find them okay it may convince me to go wider than the 155's I have now, maybe 165's?

Don't forget to use nuts for alloy wheels, NOT nuts for steel wheels. There's some detailed stuff on this web site about it.

I got my nuts from Renault Turbo spares.
They should be M10 fine pitch with a 90° cone to suit the countersink in the alloy wheel and probably 17mm A/F. I think.

Cheers.

Hehe I have a set if wheel nuts for sale, wonders whether they're worth more than the wheels, as the wheels ain't worth a dime without a set!! :)

Can't see you getting £225 quid for the nuts!
It's a while back but I paid thirty quid for 15 nuts, that's three spare, just in case I get any nicked or lost.
I'm pretty sure I saw some new ones listed somewhere recently, but I can't remember where.

Tempted to make some wheel nuts from scratch but that's a right pain !

Have heard rumours that quad bike wheel nuts might fit ! just trying to find someone with a quad bike to confirm of deny this !!!!

I really dont want to 'adjust' my wheel nuts as I still want to use the steels occasionally.

I believe Quad bike nuts are a 60° chamfer whereas the renault ones are a 45° chamfer.
They look like they will fit, and they may have the same thread, and they look the same, but they will not locate in the countersink in the wheel properly.
There's some quad bike nuts on ebay, the angle of the cone looks wrong to me. It should be 90° included angle (45° chamfer).

I DON'T THINK THESE WILL FIT.........
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NU008-4-A...rike_Parts_Accessories_SM&hash=item5634a3593c

However, if Pepper has some proper nuts, save yourself some hassle and have them!

I don't mind machining the quad bike ones to the correct angle as long as the thread is correct :)

Might be worth inquiring the ebay seller and asking what thread pitch the nuts are. If they are compatible then you are sorted, once you have them machined.

Don't machine too much off though, or they may bottom out on the studs before they lock on to the wheel.

I think it's a case of trial and error.

Please let me know how you get on.

Cheers.

I put some "beefy" ( if you can call "beefy" to a set of 165s...) Yokohama Tyres in my R4, and what I did was grind a bit of the lip in the back muydguard. Nobody will notice, its just the inside of it, and left a bit to maintain its strenght . I have these tyres installed in some alloy wheels " for the city", and a set of hard tyres and metal wheels for the sand and the off road.

Good news - those quad bike wheel nuts fit nicely - they also are the correct size for the wheel brace which is nice :)

Have to see have machining them tonight goes !

I think these will work - they seem to hold the wheel on and look quite good too!

• IMG_0125.jpg
    IMG_0125.jpg
    63.1 KB · Views: 67
  • IMG_0122.jpg
    IMG_0122.jpg
    57.4 KB · Views: 66
  • IMG_0133.jpg
    IMG_0133.jpg
    57.8 KB · Views: 64
That is a cracking job you've done there, good stuff.
Thanks for letting us know.
It's a problem solver for anyone who wishes to put alloy wheels on their R4 and then can't get the original nuts, and it looks good too. In fact, they look very similar to the original Gordini nuts to me.
You are lucky to have a lathe!

Back