Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

which fuel additive?

rennart

Enthusiast
hello
I used Redex lead replacement for years and then started using the Lucas product called Ethenol conditioner. My supplier has just sold me a slightly different product, and I am not sure whether this is ok to use? Any advice greatfully received please, otherwise I will take it back and ask him to source the old one, many thanks.The one on the left of the picture is the new one ( blue liquid)

IMG_6877.jpeg

It will be interesting to see the replies but it does not say either are lead replacement they are I assume to counteract the 5% increase in ETHANOL that has now been added to standard petrol
Why bother use super petrol which has more additive anyway and does not have the ETHANOL at all As always I may be totally wrong and don't mind being corrected if someone knows more than me.

interesting, thankyou. I just see E5 and E10 on our local unleaded petrol pumps though? Where do see this 'super' petrol please?

Shell/Esso ect and the big suppliers it is usually labeled SUPER (east anglia) if researched Shell is said to have no Ethanol at all some supermarkets in my area stock super.It is a bit of a minefield some people
swear supermarket fuel messes there car up but as the super does not have the +5% I now stick with it for every thing including chainsaws and mower etc

I've been running my classic exclusively on Esso 99 octane since the introduction of E10 petrol. Apparently (and I cannot confirm this categorically) Esso 99 is better for classic cars, as it actually contains no ethanol, although, for legal reasons, Esso are obliged to advertise it as "E5" The octane rating of their premium 99 is higher than the 97 for most other premium unleaded fuels, so it has more "uumph"! My classic (not a Renault 4, I'm ashamed to admit!) runs much better on the Esso 99 and now has a higher top speed, to boot!

Unfortunately Esso 99 up here in Scotland does contain the 5% ethanol, perhaps because all of Scotland’s fuels come from one refinery. And if you check the Esso website you’ll find that all of their 99 across the UK will contain ethanol from September.

Back