Clementine's Garage
Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

Which glue for door seals?

malcolm

& Clementine the Cat
I've used contact adhesive to attach door seals in the past and it's worked perfectly. These were seals that had been removed from the same car during paint.

I've bought some new seals for the Gordini and the contact adhesive seems to peel off the rubber very easily. I assumed this was due to mould release agent and have tried brake cleaner and thinners which make the rubber feel clean, but no luck.

My thoughts are that the glue is no good - it's a DIY store home brand. Or that I'm not getting as much of the release agent off the rubber as I think.

Has anyone else had similar trouble in the past? Is there a trick?

Malc-I hear lots of good things about spray-glue..I guess it's a kind of contact-glue too,but am unsure How to apply it without it be sprayed all over the place..
My personal tip would be to use Sikaflex (the black one is better than the off-white or grey ones) Don't know the chemical-name for the stuff but it is pure and simple Rubber adheres very nicely to all clean surfaces and you get a waterproof skin on it when dried.
You can work it like you would Silicone -that is, dip finger in dishwasher-liquid to smooth it out and get it seamless and nice.
-I would use contact-glue On both mating surfaces first.trick is to wait till dry to the touch then apply the door-seals.As you know it will stick immidiately so apply with caution.as if you have to relocate it it will lift the glue of Usually from the metal-surface..
After applied I've used either some masking-tape to fix seals Then close the door carefully to apply pressure.Trick No.2 is to leave it for 24hr's before opening the door again.
After you have checked it to be correctly applied remove masking-tape if used to fixate. Now is the time to apply Sikaflex
(comes in 600gr.cartridges) cut nossle at 45 degree and apply one string each side of door seals One side of seal at a time,then dip finger in washing-liquid and use finger to make a nice clean seamless skin.Dip finger Every 10-15cm then you won't ruin the surface..Advantage..you now have a better seal more waterproof less wind-noise and if you ever have to remove it in the future you use a scalpell or really sharp carpet-knife, tape the point so you don't cut through the paint then cut nice and evenly Just between seal and door-frame.. Sikaflex doesn't harm metal or paint or cause rust as Silicone.Stays soft and pliable Also works wonders as skin on those dreaded soft-foam (works like a sponge) seals... -R.

ADDENDUM : actually it comes in 300ml.cartridge and chemical-name is: Polyurethane (i.e Rubber) If you have problem finding it let me know -I'll load up Roffen ...

I had excellent results with black rubber adhesive, like Permatex, 3M, Loctite...brand did not make any difference. Bostik is also excellent while being thicker in consistency, which helps minimizing cleaning excess glue afterwards.

Contact adhesive is what I thought. Beware the spray on type - it's messy, but the stuff I once bought to attach a headlining turned out not to be temperature resistant! A bad thing when returning to the car on a hot day.

I searched a little for the glues you recommended Angel and then became confused. There's a glue for everything these days. Could you post a link to one?

Thanks for the links - I know what I'm looking for now. Couldn't find a supplier in the UK even by searching product codes. Maybe as a nation we just don't attach seals to doors. I've found some rubber and gasket glue which looks similar. Will try that.

The cheapest I found were from Melun Retro Passion.
Door seals sold per metre-
015452 - JOINT DE PORTE CELLULAIRE RENAULT 4L, VENDU AU ML Der Franzose also have them but twice the price. Postage from either is hefty.

Haven't tried the new glue yet. Will report back on suitability. Has "weatherseal and gasket adhesive" written on the packet.

Back