Clementine's Garage
Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

White paint colours

Richard Williams

Enthusiast
I am researching the different white colours use by Renault on 4s. I have seen several, some of which appear to have only been used on LHD cars.

So Numbers and descriptions please from all over, To start the ball rolling my car is:

Arctic White 355 very white white! not surprising really

next?

The '75 and the Jogging are both 319. It is not as white as the 355. I expected that the Jogging was completely white, but that was the code I found on the car.
Strangely enough, the '75 had been registered as "bone white" by the ministry, not "white" even though its original color was 355.
Ingo (www.ingo-heitel.de) made an extensive R4 color range, the whites he is listing are:
305 rejane white (related to the first series R4s).
322 white
348 polar white (similar to arctic white maybe?!)
377 white
389 arctic white (again, maybe a later code).

I'm thinking of respraying the '75 again in 355, as I crashed it badly last Saturday and the whole front end would need repair.

I just found an areosol can from Renault marked 348... the cap looks like a much more mellow white than 355. Can anyone post a photo of a car painted in 348 I'd be really interested

For my car I'm planning to take the list of colours from the German site that Angel linked down to the paint shop. They should have the colour swatches to reference.

My '65 car was originally painted in 305, but has since been repainted. The original parts are aged and dirty. I'll attach a pic anyway. It's not totally white, but not as cream as the respray. I'd love to know the respray code.

I'm also interested in the off-white colours. I'm planning cream for my project. Though photos can be very deceptive. Frenchfour posted some photos of his car in the gallery and they appeared to be cream at first but it seems the car is white.

My white white one is 377.

• DSCF2969.jpg
    DSCF2969.jpg
    107.2 KB · Views: 1,061

That's true photos can be very deceptive, 348.... I can't remember why I have some but it was definitely from Renault is really hopeful to me ...it's a toned down white (some would say old) but with no hint of cream which I dislike. I plan to spray something with this can and photograph it next to the 355 car that I have just bought. I'll post something.

Another point I think we all need to remember is that whites will fade just like all the other Renault colours. That is a mellow white may over 30 years begin to look more brighter in tone?

One more point I reckon that I could re-spray the outside of my car with my preferred white and leave the inside 355.. does anyone think that it would be noticable?

Is there danger of a splinter group forming "The Old White Renault 4 Club"

Resume of results so far

Bantamallan and Richard's 355 cars look very bright white to all
Angle's 319 "'says it's less white than 355
Richard's can!! 348 looks less brilliant than 355 too
Clemetine's 305 "not totally white"
Bluebell's Blanche 389 looks very white on the photograph

Anymore for anymore?? especially LHD cars?

Three more observations to help you along:
377 appears to be even more white than 355. 377 really is very white.
I've decided 305 is more of a light cream than a white so is a possibility for my car. Though it took me some time to decide.
I've got two cars in 355. I think the white ones can breed by themselves. :eek:

Richard

I ought to point out that Blanche has been resprayed from the from the stripe downwards with a colour that almost, but does not quite, match the original white - but this could be, as you pointed out, due to fading of the original colour.

By the way Blanche is a 1990 french LHD TL.

The most frequent R4 colour here was white (maybe to be less hot inside in summer?). I would guess 355 until '77-'78 then 319.
By the way, does anybody know the (white) colour code of the Plein Air?
I will be glad to become a member of the "Old White Renault 4 Club" !

Back