Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

Whitey and the process

Teodor

Enthusiast
So,
I haven't posted anything for some time now, I've been busy with night shifts and life overall.
But, I've been on vacation, so I started to work around my 4 again.
The main problems were, the radiator and cooling fan, the hiccups the engine had, and the turning off by itself.

As far as the engine cooling system goes, my father and I managed to pull an electromotor from my previous car(a 1990 Nissan Sunny), and made it fit, had to work on the fan since it was too big for it, it is a bit noisy but it serves it's purpose. I also fixed the old motor, disassembled it, used some fine sand paper on the brushes so they'd go out more easily and now that one works like a charm too, I guess I have a spare one now
I flushed the system with that special liquid today, I didn't unscrew the main drain plug, but "massaged" the pipes to get the fluid moving, later, put a hose in the radiator hole itself and let the water run through it and out of the thin tube that's on the right side of the radiator, while massaging the tubes, so all the guey stuff went out, and did that until the water run clear.

Changed the spark plug cables and voilá, all of the hiccups went away, now it runs smoothly.

Changed the oil too.

Tried to attach pictures but they're too big.
Will do that soon.

Here are the photos

Not that much to show, other than the MacGyvered fan
Also had to create a tool to unscrew the oil plug, but that was easy, took an unused extension for the torque wrench and grinded it a bit. Perfect fit.

• DSC_0397-2760x2070.JPG
    DSC_0397-2760x2070.JPG
    273.4 KB · Views: 1
  • DSC_0396-2760x2070.JPG
    DSC_0396-2760x2070.JPG
    342.3 KB · Views: 1
  • DSC_0395-2070x2760.JPG
    DSC_0395-2070x2760.JPG
    155.9 KB · Views: 1
Btw, since it now runs smoothly (for sure 100% smoother than before) I felt confident enough to drive it at max throttle and see how fast it goes.
On even terrain, 90 to barely, barely 100 kmh(slight downhill). Now, my question is, is there any way to boost it a bit, with the current setup, some adjustments around the carburetor or ignition, or whatever you think could be done? I mean, 90 kmh is not bad, but it takes a long time to get there. :dontknow::whistle:

If it were mine I’d replace the radiator, trying to clear out sediment from them is very difficult.

As an example I just had my 850 cc radiator recored, the difference in water capacity between the two was two thirds!

Yep, I will be doing that at the end of summer/early winter. However, I might get my hands on another GTL that has good parts so I'll "refurbish" or renew all the parts worth taking and set them aside, working little by little. When all is done, I'll replace everything I can.
The biggest issue is not having a garage and a spare car so I could work on it properly :)

Yep, I will be doing that at the end of summer/early winter. However, I might get my hands on another GTL that has good parts so I'll "refurbish" or renew all the parts worth taking and set them aside, working little by little. When all is done, I'll replace everything I can.
The biggest issue is not having a garage and a spare car so I could work on it properly :)
Teo, come see me in Momjan...

Will do!
When?
And you'll have to tell me where exactly, I'll send you a regular message now.

If I come, I'd like to do so with my 4, there shouldn't be overheating issues with these temperatures outside and my working cooler now, I hope :rolleyes:

Hey guys, perhaps a silly question, but, since my fuel tank is leaking a bit when full, I'm guessing from the fuel gauge entry, what are the chances of it catching on fire from driving 40-50km in one direction, would the exhaust heat up enough or some spark that could ignite it?

Btw, since it now runs smoothly (for sure 100% smoother than before) I felt confident enough to drive it at max throttle and see how fast it goes.
On even terrain, 90 to barely, barely 100 kmh(slight downhill). Now, my question is, is there any way to boost it a bit, with the current setup, some adjustments around the carburetor or ignition, or whatever you think could be done? I mean, 90 kmh is not bad, but it takes a long time to get there. :dontknow::whistle:
It's all a matter of checking and adjusting everything that has to do with ignition, carburetor and valve clearances.
A GTL should easily reach 140km/h and beyond with the original components.

Where is it leaking from?
I'd say the hole where the fuel level thingy goes in, as it only leaks when it's completely full. That's my first guess, as it did not leak before I took the tank down to clean it, I must've closed it not good enough or placed the rubber in a wrong manner.

It's all a matter of checking and adjusting everything that has to do with ignition, carburetor and valve clearances.
A GTL should easily reach 140km/h and beyond with the original components.

Yeah, a friend had an original GTL that went so fast..

I'll have to visit a mechanic, as I don't have the slightest clue on how and what to do..

Just been with uad, man, that thing flies :clapping:
Fells so nice too, unlike any R4 I've ever had the pleasure to be driven in. A beast.

I'd say the hole where the fuel level thingy goes in, as it only leaks when it's completely full. That's my first guess, as it did not leak before I took the tank down to clean it, I must've closed it not good enough or placed the rubber in a wrong manner.
The picture explains the various parts for the fuel tank.
Maybe one of the rubber hoses has to much slack due to old age.
It has to be a tight fit and the clamp(s) should be present for holding everything inplace and don't overtighten the clamps.

brandstoftank.jpg

Back