Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

Wild Thing !!

grizz

Enthusiast
Got your attention ??

Hi, I am an expat, from South Africa, living in the Garden of mmmmmm?
My Girlfriend and I am interested in taking on a project, something practical, and sensible.
We have possibly sourced a 1987/F-plate Van, for the princely sum of £150...... about 2hours from home. She has done 110k miles, seems reasonably straight on the digi pix.

What mileages are middle of the road for these vans, and where does 110k feature?
I have read up some of the reports on the history pages, but have no great knowlege, other than the fact that I have liked these vans for a long time.

PS: We are both 42, so have some sense, but not too much.

Thanks for the help. Rian and Claire.

So...?

No Opinions on the mileages these vans and their engines can do.

The one on EBay says 183K and running strong.

Whats the general concensus, or opinion on expectations then??

These engines which are the 5 main bearing 'sierra' type are very long lasting - there again it all depends on how well it's been serviced. When buying a R4 the engine is the least of your worries. You need to look carefully at the body and chassis and assess how much rust there is. Always look at the car - don't rely on photos. Try to buy one that needs the minimum of welding - if the engine is shot there are plenty of second-hand ones about. In any event, do be prepared to spend some money because our cars are getting old.
Good luck

Steve

Thanks Steve,
That particular car is gone, but I will keep my eyes peeled for another van.
I am also a member of the 2CV club, but suspect that when the right one comes along I will be in there.
Practicality is a big plus, and it seems the support network is pretty good here.

Rian

Renault4life said:
my neightboard had a R4 TL with 584k running strong :shock:

Amazing.

I am still looking, but not in a hurry, when the right panel van comes along, I will make my move.

Thanks 4ever.

Back