Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

Windscreen template needed please

the joiner

Enthusiast
Hello all,
I’m in the process of rebuilding my Renault 4gtl and hoping to get back on the road soon. However, the windscreen fell to bits when I took it out and now I’m in need of a new one. I bought an original off eBay last week but when it arrived it was broken and had to be sent back. So disappointed . So now I need a template so I can hopefully get one cut locally, can anyone help me please, I will cover any cost etc. Also can someone confirm the glass thickness is ok at 6mm laminated?
Many thanks

Hi. If you have any problems, I have a spare windscreen for sale, and I can do you a template. Edwin

Hi. If you have any problems, I have a spare windscreen for sale, and I can do you a template. Edwin
Hi Edwin
That’s interesting. Is the windscreen for the gtl R4 I think part code is 7704000431. What condition is it in? Laminated? And of course how much

It came out of a 1978 R4 TL . I understood they were all the same size glass. I have no idea of a part number .Someone in the forum will confirm the size. Its wrapped in cardboard since I extracted it from the car, so its been 4 years since i have seen it. If its of interest I will get it out and have a look at it. I am in Lichfield , where are you? Drop me a PM and we can discuss it in more detail.

It came out of a 1978 R4 TL . I understood they were all the same size glass. I have no idea of a part number .Someone in the forum will confirm the size. Its wrapped in cardboard since I extracted it from the car, so its been 4 years since i have seen it. If its of interest I will get it out and have a look at it. I am in Lichfield , where are you? Drop me a PM and we can discuss it in more detail.
Hi Edwin
Thank you for that, think I will try and get a new one cut but if any problems I will come back to you. Stuart has offered to sort me a template as you can see above so I’ll see how I get on. But I really appreciate your help
Cheers
Rob

Sounds like it is a pain to get original windscreens these days. If anyone can send a template I can put it up on here. I've found that dressmakers provide PDF templates you can print off from PDF and tape together. Should work for R4 windscreens.

I could look into this. I could try and reduce the shape to fit A4 with key overall dimensions, so that it could be blown up to that dimension and then be the right size and shape for use as a profile. Unless someone already has a drawing. Another way is I have two windscreens available currently, one 1978 and one 1972 for making a template. There is a print shop locally that could print off full size templates as well. There would be a small cost for that from the printer, not me, but the forum could hold those. Maybe get 10 printed at a time? What are the thoughts ? I can check out costs in the next few days if its of interest.

I could look into this. I could try and reduce the shape to fit A4 with key overall dimensions, so that it could be blown up to that dimension and then be the right size and shape for use as a profile. Unless someone already has a drawing. Another way is I have two windscreens available currently, one 1978 and one 1972 for making a template. There is a print shop locally that could print off full size templates as well. There would be a small cost for that from the printer, not me, but the forum could hold those. Maybe get 10 printed at a time? What are the thoughts ? I can check out costs in the next few days if its of interest.
Definitely of interest and a great idea, I would have one to keep just in case.

Talked with my print man. He can do a print big enough for a 1100 x 400 windscreen template. That is great because we can have a same size template, which can be handed to the glass cutter, without any further work doing, and reduces the opportunity for mistakes in shape or dimensions.
Price is £5 each if we have 20, so a total cost of about £100. If we have 10 copies its about £70, or about £7 each.
Then how do we pay for that. At the moment this forum is entirely volunteer manned and operated. No money is involved in anything. Then there is the issue of who holds the prints. Then there is postage and a tube to send it rolled.
So this is possible but there are some issues to be aired first. Please aire away.

A single print would be around £20, so maybe we just do them as required at £20 ?

A single print would be around £20, so maybe we just do them as required at £20 ?
This all sounds like a lot of work for you, what about getting a large roll of paper like wall lining paper and using your old windscreen to trace around when needed. You could make a small charge for doing it and postage. Might be simpler.

If you went to a print shop or office support company (eg Officeworks which are everywhere in Australia- but don't know UK equivalent) with the template they could scan it and give you a pdf. Then anyone could take a pdf to similar plces and get them printed out to correct size on a flatbed printer.
By the way all R4 windscreens are the same size except F6 which is taller.

Yes those are other alternatives. Its a matter of choice. I can definitely do those. Will get a roll of lining paper and a tube and if you pm me with your contact info i can send.

Yes those are other alternatives. Its a matter of choice. I can definitely do those. Will get a roll of lining paper and a tube and if you pm me with your contact info i can send.
I have started a conversation with you and hope this is what you meant by PM?

Hi. I have done it and will try send it in the next day or two, My main problem is finding a tube to post it in.

Hi. I have done it and will try send it in the next day or two, My main problem is finding a tube to post it in.
If you have to buy a tube let me know and I will refund you along with postage. Put your details inside package. Thanks

Back