Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

Winter requirements on UK roads

Leonardo.IT

Enthusiast
Hello everybody!
In October I'm going to move in Wales for three months and I'm wondering about taking with me my car.
But I don't know if there are specific requirements to circulate in fall and winter in UK.
I know that in Germany you can't drive without winter tyres in the cold season and my car is equipped with summer tyres and snow chains, is it enought in the UK?

And the steering wheel is on the opposite side, is that a problem? :laughing::laughing::laughing::laughing:

:drunk:

There are quite a few Welsh members on here including one that gets very grumpy unless he spends the winter in Portugal so maybe conditions are very bleak and you will need a 4 wheel drive sinpar

Seriously normal tyres are fine in the UK with no legal requirements other than they must have 1.6 millimetres of tread over 75% of the tire and they must all be free from cuts splits etc
Using a left hand drive car in the UK is not a problem not sure when you go across the Severn Bridge which side the Tollbooth is on for you to be able to pay so either take a passenger or getout to pay ☺

:laughing::laughing:
There are quite a few Welsh members on here including one that gets very grumpy unless he spends the winter in Portugal so maybe conditions are very bleak and you will need a 4 wheel drive sinpar

Seriously normal tyres are fine in the UK with no legal requirements other than they must have 1.6 millimetres of tread over 75% of the tire and they must all be free from cuts splits etc
Using a left hand drive car in the UK is not a problem not sure when you go across the Severn Bridge which side the Tollbooth is on for you to be able to pay so either take a passenger or getout to pay ☺

I would only add to the above that one's headlamps must be adjusted for UK traffic and should dip to the LEFT. As for driving to Wales, most English drivers think twice before venturing over the Severn, so take your "brave" pills first..... (The smiley faces were meant to go here, not at the start!)

Yeah, of course the lights....you think I must buy a pair of RHD headlamps or can I just place the stripes to avoid to disturb the people driving on the opposite way?
As the bravery...I'm Italian, and I know what all of you think about italian traffic :D :D :D

Some early Renault 4 cars were built with headlamps which had a small clip at the bottom of the bulb; by moving this the headlights dipped in the other direction. there's a feed on this forum about how to convert your headlamp bulb if it doesn't have this clip.

Just remember in the U.K we salt the roads if there is the slightest hind of ice. It would be a good idea to give it a good wash down under the arches from time to time. The stuff causes corrosion at an amazing rate! Especially on old cars that may not have the sort of protection we Brits plaster on our undersides.
The bridge will be no problem the staff are used to it and see LHD cars all the time. You could even use the coin bin lean over and chuck in the money. Remember not to use the lane marked only TAG. You would be surprised how many try in! ! Causes a right foul up at rush hour.
As for the lights strips will be fine no need to go to the expense of changing the lamps.

Welcome to Wales. Cheers, Chris.

The TAG lane is for frequent users of the bridge. You need an electronic magic box in the car to use it. Most of the lanes have multiple methods of payment but a few far left and far right are dedicated TAG. It's simple much like most of the European toll roads. You should have no problems.
Having said all that I've made an assumption that you are visiting South Wales. You may not even be crossing the bridge. What area of the country are you staying?

Cheers,Chris.

Of course, I know the system I just ignored the british name, we have it in Italy to enter the motorways :D
I'll be in the south, about 20 miles to the north of Cardiff, and I'd love to bring the car with me to be free to explore the area!

I think you should. I'm 15 miles west of Cardiff. If you have any trouble when your here maybe I could help.
It would be a great R4 adventure!

Cheers, Chris.

I'm coming! Tomorrow morning I'll begin this adventure.
I fitted winter tyres on my car, to be more confortable with a way more cold place than the one I'm used to.
About 1200 miles in three days and an half... I'll do my best!

I thought the way was longer... it seems just a bit more than the mileage we did to reach Thenay. .. and for sure less than the way to Thenay and back!

Back