Clementine's Garage
Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

Wont run unless its on full choke.

yecalsemaj

Enthusiast
Ive just spent the last five months fixing my R4 just doing body work because the whole time I've had it its run perfectly. It sailed through its mot two days ago and ran perfectly driving there and back. Today when I started it its sounds rough and will only run with the choke pulled out fully and it cuts out when I put it down to half choke. Is it something getting stuck in the carb after standing for so long and just ticking over on my driveway. Any help would be greatly appreciated I was really looking forward to taking it out for my first proper drive in it today.

It does sound like something has blocked one of the jets, I had similar when I got BB back on the road, I ended up putting a new filter on and cleaning the carb out lots and lots

Yes, do a thorough carb clean as something is making it run weak. I reckon you have the 28IF fitted so it's not complicated at all. Also check for air leakages around the manifold and the carb flange.

Just a thought mine was like this when the breather pipe that goes to the inlet manifold fell off.

there is a restrictor piece in the rocker cover to carb pipe on 1108cc models. of you remove it, it wont run properly (if its blocked ti wont help matters)

Or there is an elbow at the bottom of the carb on the inlet manifold for a breather, this may be blocked too?

It was the breather pipe it had fallen off its running perfectly again now thanks for the advice. I've been driving around Cornwall all day today I've completely fallen in love with it.

I will be looking out for you James as you cruise around the area.:cool:

me too James, interested in seeing it if your in the penzance area

Back