Clementine's Garage
Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

Wretched carb....

Did you get a post from me 2 days ago with results of all above?? Wrote one, but cannot see that it was sent.

Did you get a post from me a couple of days ago reporting results of above. Sent it but now cannot see it..

I did the job on Saturday, and it all went pretty well! Engine now running smooth as silk, well, 20 yr old silk anyway..

I am extremely grateful for your help and encouragement without which I certainly wouldn't have had the courage to even have started the job..

Couple of points:
Couldn't find a carb kit, so didn't dismantle the carb, or in fact even disconnect all the cables. Just sort of folded it all over the other side. The bottom carb gasket sold to me was not precisely the same size. It was slightly larger (abt 2 mm radius). I will order the right kit and then thoroughly clean the carb later..

The manifold gaskets were new, and went on well. I did use a little gasket paste on them.....

I do not have a torque wrench, so did the two bolts on the head by 'feel'. Certainly not enough to strip them, but pretty tight. Should i invest in a torque wrench to check that?

Anyway, its going like clockwork, and I thoroughly enjoyed doing it. I wish you'd seen the look on my wife's face--she was astonished when I got it all back toether again!

Thanks again for your help!!

That's great Malcolm. Did you try the Carburettor exchange in Leighton Buzzard for the kit? Just Google them to get their contact details. You need not have put gasket goo on the manifold gasket as it will burn off anyway. However, it's always good to put a smear on the carb to manifold gaskets. I'm not sure what you mean by torquing the two bolts on the head? In any event I have never used a torque wrench when doing a manifold job but I have years of experience in knowing just how tight things need to be. The only time I use one is for heads, bearing caps and flywheel bolts.
Glad to be of help.

Back