Clementine's Garage
Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

Zenith 28if main jet sizes

AdamWilkes

Enthusiast
I have an F6 which has the wrong carb in it (v05086 instead of the standard v05083) - it runs ok with slight splutter on light throttle acceleration but I have a choice of No 88 or No 90 main jets; which is bigger? The v05086 came with the number 90 main jet standard I think.

It also has some sort of jet housing sticking out on the engine-side, linked to the bottom of the carb with a hose - it seems to be connected to the float chamber with a small carb channel and (until I inserted a blanking gasket) dribbled petrol straight into the manifold from the float chamber. Obviously missing a valve/ball/flap or something inside the little side-housing! Any ideas?

Hi Adam
There's some useful info. on main jet sizes here:
http://zenithcarb.co.uk/zenserviceguide/?___store=zenith

According to my 'Revue Technique', the V05086 was fitted to the late TL (Savane/Type 112 C) with the 956 engine. The main jet size is given as 89.

Unfortunately, I don't have a spare F6 carb - I need to hang on to the one I've got, just in case! Your best bet might be here:

https://www.palace-de-lancienne.com/carburateur/carburateurs/ . They haven't got a V05083 at the moment, but I'm sure they could find one for you.

Many thanks Andy - lots of great reading there!
Zenith says that the jet sizes are indicators of the hole diameter in mm - so my 88 is 0.88mm, my 90 is 0.9mm etc..

The palace-de-lancienne.com is an absolute treasure-trove of dismantled used R4 parts - it's an online car-breaker's yard! I recommend everyone take a look at it! If ordering from them (it is in French but Google can translate most of it if needed), the UK is known as 'Royaume-Uni' in their list of countries to post to (recall that name from the European song contests?). Everything from window-clips and seats to used carburettors and exhaust pipes! Fab.

Many thanks Andy - lots of great reading there!
Zenith says that the jet sizes are indicators of the hole diameter in mm - so my 88 is 0.88mm, my 90 is 0.9mm etc..

The palace-de-lancienne.com is an absolute treasure-trove of dismantled used R4 parts - it's an online car-breaker's yard! I recommend everyone take a look at it! If ordering from them (it is in French but Google can translate most of it if needed), the UK is known as 'Royaume-Uni' in their list of countries to post to (recall that name from the European song contests?). Everything from window-clips and seats to used carburettors and exhaust pipes! Fab.
I have used them for parts and one gets very good service. Recommended.

Back