Clementine's Garage
Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

Zenith or solex

It's always useful to describe what carb you have at the moment (IF28 for example) and what carb you intend to fit. Then it's useful to know why you want to change your carb and if it's playing up then there is a wealth of knowledge on the site about carb problems.
Broadly speaking, any carb will fit the GTL that has the same base measurement as the manifold and then you need to work out the jetting (sometimes by trial and error) and the link up to the choke and accelerator.
As far as I know, there are not many carbs about that small (28mm) so your option there is limited. Also a lot of Zenith and Solex parts are interchangeable so swapping one 28mm carb for another won't make a lot of difference.

zenith or solex

THANKS FOR YOUR REPLY,THE CAR STARTS OK ON A COLD MORINING RUNS WELL ON THE CHOKE BUT AS SOON AS YOU PUT IN THE CHOKE IT SEEMS TO STRUGLE AND BY PULLLING OUT CHOKE A LITTLE MAKES IT RUN SMOOTHER .

I HAVE TRIED ADJUSTING THE CARB AS PER THE HAYNES MANUAL BUT CANT GET THE BALANCE CORRECT ANY IDEAS:smile:

hi edwardhall
most R4 problems have been covered on this forum just some get discussed in detail as the thread veers off topic making searching tricky

if you check out this thread 2nd page it may help http://www.renault4.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=1229
think greeney in france posted some "how to do it" pics as well after it cured his problems too cheers --- Paul

Zenith or Solex

Hi there,I had the same problem on my GTL,poor running with choke in. Mr Renospeed suggested the following and it worked. Remove the main-jet, situated at the bottom of the float chamber,careful not to damage gaskets and seals. The diameter of the jet is .9mm. Use a 1mm drill bit to open it up,but don't put the bit in a drill,just hold it between your fingers. Remember,you are removing a very small amount of material,but it should do the trick. Also check the plastic tee piece that connects the breather pipe to the carb,these can crack after time (all that heat),and will if damaged let air in. I removed mine,blanked off the pipe below the carb and also where the tee piece enters the carb. As for the breather pipe I simply ran a longer rubber pipe down to the chassis by the starter,a little bit of oil helps to protect atleast this part of the car.

Zenith or Solex

One more thing following the modification I have suggested. Take your 4 down to your friendly MOT man and get him to check the emissions, then adjust the mixture. The Co reading on his machine should be 2.5 and the hydrocarbon reading should be well below the 1200 limit, say 300-400. Hope this works for you and you can the enjoy your great little car again.

Thanks for your reply, ould you explain in a bit more detail abbout what to with the pipe

thanks
Hi Edwardhall,do you mean the rocker box breather? If so, I tied it off to the bulkhead with a cable tie, there was a convenient small hole for this, and cut so it so it just touched where the body is bolted to the chassis. If your engine like mine is in good condition,just a small amount of vapour/oil will dribble on to the chassis. Another modification I've done is fit electronic ignition,if you would like some details please let me know as this is a very worthwhile mod to do. Hope this helps,regards Cornish4.

THANKS FOR THE INFORMATION I HAVE FITTED A 123 ELECTRONIC IGNITION SYSTEM AND I AM SLOWLY GETING THE CAR RUNING BETTER.

I HAVE FITTED GAS SHOCKS AND CONTINENTAL TYRES. I AM STILL GETING A FEW RATTLES FROM HERE AND THERE, I TRIED SOUND DEADING AND A FULL SET OF CARPETS.

THE RUNING PROBLEMS I HAVE ARE WITH THE CARB AND THANKS TO YOUR HELP I WILL GET THAT SORTED, HAVE YOU HEARD ANY REPORTS ON THE GUNSON COLOUR TUNE I WAS THINKING OF BUYING ONE TO SET THE MIXTURE.

REGARDS EDDIE:smile:

Hi there,I must say I've never used a Colour Tune kit, but I believe it is good, they've been on the market for donkeys years. I simply went down to my MOT man, we checked the reading on his emissions gear and adjusted the mixture screw. The boys at the MOT garage I go to are quite into old cars, even Renaults! So that helps. I will be interested to hear how the gas shocks shape up, I've been thinking of fitting them. Mm sound-deadening,any you can fit has got to be useful,but a few rattles and bangs are all part of the 4s Gaelic charm. Regards Cornish4.

HELLO

THANKS FOR THE ADVICE ON THE CARB,I DID WHAT YOU ADVISED AND THE CAR IS RUNING REALLY WELL I AM WAITING FOR THE GUNSON COLOUR TUNE TO SET MIXTURE SCREW.
:smile:

Hi edwardhall,
I'm reading this thread with interest, as I'll have to adjust my 4's carb as well once it's back on the road ... but your use of capital letters makes my eyes water ... it's considered shouting on the internet.
Unless ... you're dictating this while driving around in your 4 ;-) in which case it's perfectly understandable you use caps ...

Robert

HELLO

THANKS FOR THE ADVICE ON THE CARB,I DID WHAT YOU ADVISED AND THE CAR IS RUNING REALLY WELL I AM WAITING FOR THE GUNSON COLOUR TUNE TO SET MIXTURE SCREW.
:smile:

You don't really need a Colour Tune for a 4 Carb. Just turn the mixture screw in and out until you reach the maximum revs, then adjust the accelerator screw to achieve a good tickover speed.

Back