Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

1961/2 Fourgonnette RHD

mike4gtl

Mad many would insit upon
Hello All,

I have managed to save the very early F4 that was advertised on Friday here http://www.renault4.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=4021

I have not recovered it home yet as i am about to depart back to the Stanbury Mill to carry out a repair for Ian, However i will as soon as i get back.

Meanwhile here are a few sample pictures. I will be on the look out for many early parts now, I am also thinking about trailering it to the 'Big Do' next year as a restoration in progress.

Michael

• f4 1961.JPG
    f4 1961.JPG
    29.6 KB · Views: 527
  • f4 1961 2.jpg
    f4 1961 2.jpg
    18.5 KB · Views: 526
  • f4 1961 3.jpg
    f4 1961 3.jpg
    28.8 KB · Views: 543
  • f4 1961 4.jpg
    f4 1961 4.jpg
    28.6 KB · Views: 534
  • f4 1961 5.jpg
    f4 1961 5.jpg
    20.6 KB · Views: 538
..Bravo Michael and you are already a legend in your own lifetime!!

..Am looking forward to seeing you and the other celebrity you are bringing with you on Friday.

Malcolm, Michael is your natural successor and do please arrange to go and see him at some stage when you are foot loose and fancy free in Cambridgeshire - You will be amazed.

Caught a Coypu here in France last week and here he is, in case you have never seen one...

• CIMG4175 e.jpg
    CIMG4175 e.jpg
    54.2 KB · Views: 527
  • CIMG4176 e.jpg
    CIMG4176 e.jpg
    51.4 KB · Views: 530
So thats what they were living in the mill, amazing. here is what wiki says.

"The coypu (from the Mapudungun, koypu)[2][3] or nutria (Myocastor coypus), is a large, herbivorous, semiaquatic rodent and the only member of the family Myocastoridae. Originally native to temperate South America, it has since been introduced to North America, Europe, Asia, and Africa, primarily by fur ranchers.[4] Although it is still valued for its fur in some regions, its destructive feeding and burrowing behaviors make this invasive species a pest throughout most of its range. In France, the coypu is known as a ragondin. They have a coarse, darkish brown outer fur with a soft under-fur. Two distinguishing marks are the presence of a white patch on the muzzle, and webbed hind feet. They can also be identified by their bright orange-yellow incisor teeth (unlike rats, which have brownish yellow incisors). The nipples of female coypu are high on her flanks. This allows their young to feed while the female is in the water"

Thats an awesome find, look forward to following the resto!

4vanNorfolk2Small.jpg

4vanNorfolkSmall.jpg

Yes, when i do it i will keep an on line account of it.

I was hoping someone would save that one - would that be the earliest R4 in the UK? Definitely would be good to meet up at some point. I'm not far away.

I've got some bits from early cars. Mostly used bits, though one or two new bits that I'll probably never use.

Sure Pop over any time I have quite a few projects.

Bit pee'd off this morning because i was up late fighting the F6's side light for today's mot. Went out to it this morning and it wont fire up at all. Im guessing it prefere's the workshop heat to this morning's frost. Pfffff

This means i wont be able to put many miles on it before driving it the 600 miles to Ian's. hmmmmmm........

11/12/10 The Collection

So, big day today as i went to collect the old fourgonnette. I will let the pictures do the talking

• IMGP4146.jpg
    IMGP4146.jpg
    69.7 KB · Views: 434
  • IMGP4151.jpg
    IMGP4151.jpg
    62.3 KB · Views: 423
  • IMGP4150.jpg
    IMGP4150.jpg
    72.7 KB · Views: 428
and a few more. She creeps out of the barn for the first time since 1975!

• IMGP4149.jpg
    IMGP4149.jpg
    36.1 KB · Views: 434
  • IMGP4154.jpg
    IMGP4154.jpg
    67.4 KB · Views: 423
  • IMGP4155.jpg
    IMGP4155.jpg
    66 KB · Views: 429
and three more

• IMGP4156.jpg
    IMGP4156.jpg
    77.7 KB · Views: 356
  • IMGP4141.jpg
    IMGP4141.jpg
    57.5 KB · Views: 356
  • IMGP4160.jpg
    IMGP4160.jpg
    34.2 KB · Views: 353
I will go out and get the chassis number shortly and we can decipher it.

Paint code says 618 as you can see on the wing however it seems a much lighter grey than this going of the paint codes page. Its more like the R3 listed.

did i read early cars had solex carbs?

michael

Is is an R2102 or 2104? Oval plate number should be very low anyway...

Computer screens can be very misleading regarding exact colour of a car...on your last photos it appears like a very light blue to me. Anyway, it will be a lot of work, but I think it's worth for such an early van.

It would be interesting to check the inner door opening handles too...on such an early example you should feel a "rod" inside the hole in the door, not a flat sheet metal handle.

Yes, it is a 2102 with a chassis number of 291. I will up load some pictures on the tin plates later on when i am home.

Paint wise the wing says 618 however yes it looks pale blue - which it is. It has been hand painted very well. Behind the dash board and inside the A panels is grey as is the underside of the bonnet and bulkhead.

The door handles are indeed rod.

Also it has no ignition barrel or any wires that go to a barrel infact the wiring is very tidy so i was wondering where is the on-off switch? To start it you pull a secondry choke cable which is directly connected to the starter motor.

Right how do i got about applying for a log book, apparently it is no longer on the dvla's records.... They were not to helpful this time

Also it has no ignition barrel or any wires that go to a barrel infact the wiring is very tidy so i was wondering where is the on-off switch? To start it you pull a secondry choke cable which is directly connected to the starter motor.

The ignition on-off switch should be one of the beige switches either side of the instrument panel. I had noticed this on a wiring diagram, but never seen it live, of course!

A few more of the beast

• IMGP4168.jpg
    IMGP4168.jpg
    64.3 KB · Views: 235
  • IMGP4169.jpg
    IMGP4169.jpg
    33.2 KB · Views: 244
  • IMGP4167.jpg
    IMGP4167.jpg
    47.2 KB · Views: 240
  • IMGP4170.jpg
    IMGP4170.jpg
    39.4 KB · Views: 238
  • IMGP4163.jpg
    IMGP4163.jpg
    67.7 KB · Views: 267
  • IMGP4162.jpg
    IMGP4162.jpg
    44.7 KB · Views: 242
Hi,
Is it just me or does the front look high?
+The original information panels are brilliant!

Early R4's do sit alot higher for a reason i do not know yet. i presumed it is because the whole thing weights less being only 750cc 3 speed

Barn Find Fouronnette

Hello from Melbourne Australia!

I just found a RHD one in a shed here. It is in, ah, very average condition!

The oval plate has R2104 with 2212 under.

Can somebody please date and advise rarity?

Bruce

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    59.1 KB · Views: 123
Back