Clementine's Garage
Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

2012 new MoT rules

alewis

Enthusiast
Doesn't appear to be anything too bad for R4's, looks like it will kill alot of mid 90's cars and track day however :(

Main items that could affect R4's
Warning Lights - Main beam and Brake Fluid level, speedo illumination
Damaged ball joint dust covers
Headlamp bulb seating - not sure on this one!
Towbar structure and wiring
Speedo problems
Rear doors must work
Door pillars and hinges (doors must open easily - not sure this is ever an issue on an R4 as they are so light)
Steering lock
Engine mounts

http://www.theaa.com/motoring_advice/car-servicing-repair/mot-changes-2012.html

Thanks for this. Looks like we should be OK, except that I guess it's going to take longer so be more expensive? (Surely MOT testers should give a discount for cars like the 4 as they have to test a lot less!) Better check the brake fluid level warning lamp then.

Yes thanks for that Andrew. Headlamp bulb seating simply means is the bulb fitted correctly. I had a part-time job not long ago as an MOT assistant, and we had quite a number of cars in with wrongly fitted bulbs. Their owners had had-a-go at fitting them, but to be fair some modern cars' headlamps are the very devil to work on with so much equipment under the bonnet. Not much here for us 4L owners to worry about though is there, and Jonathan, if the hand-brake warning light works I think we should be okay. So no worries.:D

Given how long it is since most MOT testers will have seen a Renault 4, (if at all in the case of younger testers) there will probably be some considerable scope for interpretation of the rules.

Does anyone have any particular model specific issues that come up when they take their R4 for MOT?

I suspect that braking power may be an issue, although if the MOT testers refer to the correct line on their testing schedule there should be no difficulty. R4 brake power, particularly on the earlier models before tandem brake cylinders were introduced (i.e. mid 70s) is pretty anaemic.

The practical advice arising out of this is : ensure that the brake adjusters are free before the MOT (they often seize owing to road dirt). This may avoid having to get a new brake backplate (difficult these days).

Hi there, I've never had a problem with the brake test, infact the brakes on our GTL are very good, just as well with the idiots on the roads these days. Mainly 4x4 drivers who just don't seem to see a little Renault coming down the road, even if it is bright yellow! The main problem at the MOT is the dreaded rust of course, the tester seems hell-bent on finding some. Apart from that I can't think of any other issues, the 4L is so lightweight that it it easy on suspension and steering, tyres seem to last a long time, and the electrics are so simple. That's why we love em isn't it?:smile:

anything pre 1960 is becoming mot exempt

No its a serious government suggestion (along with MOT's every 2 years and only needing one when the car is 4 years old)

Personally I think its a terrible idea. I have no idea what it will do to insurance prices. also which would you prefer to buy a 1960 car with MOT's for the last 5 years or a 1959 car with no MOT's for 10 years?

Also you are still at fault if something is found. Yet with a yearly MOT it wouldn't be too bad since last time.

Also how will an insurance company know if you pulled the old car which was on sorn out of the field, gave it a lick of paint and drove it around compared with classic restored to basic MOT standard ?

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/motoring/news/8868143/Classic-cars-could-be-exempt-from-MoT.html

I agree, its a terrible idea.

To a lot of careful owners who look after their old cars then its not a problem. But theres plenty who either just don't or don't know how to. An annual (or even every other year at worst) inspection would stop the worst horrors but the idea that someone could pull a pre 1960 barnfind out of a garage, stick some tax on and drive straight off is worrying. Most sensible people wouldn't do that but theres some that would.

MOT's

We've just gone the other way (in France) .Classic cars ie those over 30 yrs old,now have to have the CT (MOT) every 5 years instead of never

We also have CT every 2 years for cars once they are 4 years old and an annual check for commercial vehicles to check their pollution levels - which is a pain for F4 owners !

Personally a 2 year check for our newer cars suits me fine

Not sure a 2 year check would work in the UK too well, people rely on the MOT for telling them they are out of washer fluid and brake fluid these days !

Also the VW crowd think that there is a hidden agenda as there are other items which have been mentioned along the lines of the vehicle has to be mechanically historic so no modifications and that it must not be used as a daily driver.

Back