Clementine's Garage
Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

2012 new MoT rules

This has got to be a wind-up, I just cannot believe this is a serious idea that someone has come up with. When the MOT test first came out in around 1959 my dads' pre-war Standard 10 was immediately scrapped because it had a broken chassis. The back end was about ready to fall off! My mum was not pleased to find out that we had all been riding around in this death-trap for a couple of years. Pity because dad had just had it repainted, two-tone, grey and blue, it looked great! Love it or hate it, all cars should have a test, and it should stay at yearly.

Wohoo - my MGA is 1959 and it's a hassle organising the fleet down to the MOT every year. On the other hand it failed today on a split and weeping brake hose! Oops. Worth the effort on this occasion, full set on order as it's 20 years since I fitted them in the first place.

Having bought a couple of collectors cars from France that were very badly maintained I'd support a MOT every few years. I know I need the push to even look at the mechanical bits. It's every 5 years in France for collectors cars now is it not?

MOT every year for collectors cars in the UK is a hassle. I'll do maybe 1000 miles in any one of them so things won't wear out, but once every 5 years should be OK to check for things perishing.

I am surpised that nobody on the forum has commented on this before. The FBHVC conducted a survey that came out with a resounding 'no MOT' verdict for pre 1960 cars, and that was their recommendation to Government as representatives of the classic car community.
I think most of us have mixed feelings, but one problem is that fewer and fewer garages have the necessary experience to do work on a really old car. It will be a case of having the self discipline to have a good look yourself, or if you aren't confident of your own abilities, to take it to someone who knows what they are doing.
I haven't heard when it is coming into force, as yet.

Also the comments about what this means about Post 1960's cars (All R4's) - these are therefore not historic and not worth keeping ?

Sadly there are still some 'enthusiasts' who don't consider a car a classic unless its British and over 'x' number of years old. These people can generally be safely ignored.

I agree with Malcolm, once every 5 years is the best idea

Turns out the MGA is registered as 1960 so I'm OK after all. Worries me they will add some different rules for the early cars if they become MOT exempt. Insurance would also be a worry in our "market lead" economy.

I totally agree with what's been said in Classics Monthly, it's the worst thing that could happen to the classic car scene, and could well mean tighter control of the use of older vehicles in the future. Also just imagine the general publics' outrage after a few fatal accidents involving old 'bangers', for want of a better word, that had quite literally been dragged out of a barn and put straight on the road. It's just CRAZY!
Now, restarting the rolling tax-exemption would be a good idea.

Oddly enough, I understand that certain kinds of pre 1960 commercial (in private use) are already MOT exempt. I think that one of the reasons for this proposal is to align other vehicles with those commercials. The overall logic is undoubtedly that most pre 60's cars are more or less collecters items, owned by enthusiasts, who look after them well and use them infrequently.

The MOT is a valuable annual reality check, but it is only a snapshot in time, far from a guarantee of roadworthiness, and probably takes relatively few cars of this sort of vintage off the road in real terms. Plus there are becoming fewer and fewer MOT testers who can give a realistic assessment of the condition of a fifty or sixty year old car and it will become unreasonably hard to achieve a sensible pass as years go by.

I think that, on balance, I would be more concerned if the exemption had been , say, pre 1970. There are after all, relatively few fifties and sixties cars that survive, even fewer that are likely to be used as daily drivers. There are hardly any 1940's survivors at all and then pre war, you are getting into a sector of the marketplace where cars are getting quite seriously valuable and are even less likely to be neglected or used on a daily basis.

There are risks. There will always be the odd idiot who will be tempted to drive his car when he knows that it is defective, but the percentage compared to those who already drive unroadworthy high mileage modern cars in an erratic fashion, is probably negligible.

I foresee that the police will become more interested in old cars on the road, and that if you attract the eye of the law with some ratty old unrestored barn find, you will be required to demonstrate that your car is roadworthy. Interestingly, the insurance market has been fairly quiet about all of this. I suspect that they won't hike the premiums that much, but will make it harder to claim, any classic involved in an major accident, being subject to engineer's scrutiny before there is any payout. Heaven help you if you have not kept it up to scratch. In short, owning a classic may become easier in some respects, in that you won't have the annual stress or cost of the MOT, but it may become riskier in terms of liability if things do come to grief.

Sadly there are still some 'enthusiasts' who don't consider a car a classic unless its British and over 'x' number of years old. These people can generally be safely ignored.

I don't think it matters what other people think. If you like it and want to drive it, then go for it!

Hi barnfind, you make some very good valid points there, and I understand where you are coming from, but only time will tell if this was a good idea. And yes it doesn't matter what you own, from a Ferrari to a Trabant, if you love it, enjoy it, and to hell with what people think. There is a bit of snobbery in the classic car scene, that's human nature unfortunately, but on the whole classic car owners are a nice bunch of people who just love old cars.

Back