Clementine's Garage
Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

4L International 2015

Love the sound of this. As we're already here in France, not too far South of the Loire area, maybe we'll make it along with our recently purchased 10 Euro tent, which is excellent and was a proper bargain. Just bought a spare, decent set of old headlamps from a local scrappy for 50 Euros the pair; he chucked in the window slide/lock mechanism we also needed for free. An excellent new interior sunvisor cost the princely sum of 5 Euros. Will be replacing all brake hoses in next few weeks and handrake cable just renewed this week. Got Morag up on our village garagiste's ramp and she's in surprisingly fine fettle. Even he seemed fairly impressed! How do we arrange camping etc at Thenay? Any ideas anyone?

Last edited:
So who's planning on going then? And how you getting there?

I'm pondering on ferry crossings at present, P&O Dov-Cal at around 8am Friday seems good but then Newhaven - Dieppe has some merit although 1400 arrival in France might not be ideal given the four hour drive on the other side.

I'll probably end up doing Dover - Calais though with a cheap hotel in Dover the night before as strangely ViaMichelin reckons theres only about an extra hour or so drive from Calais as opposed to Dieppe or even Caen and D-C is a lot cheaper.
The Newhaven - Dieppe crossing is my favourite. Use it when travelling back to UK from our place here in France. Generally cheapest and always quickest/fastest/shortest crossing, so has it's benefits all round.

Just decided to go to the Intl for first time, we already live in France a mere few hours from Thenay, so no problem. But we would prefer to camp. How does that work? Can't find any reference or info on the site etc. Any help welcome! Most scrap yards around here have at least one F6 lurking in the undergrowth and our local one - 2kms away - crushed a very good-looking GTL within past six months, to my chagrin!

Ive just bought my tickets on-the-line but there is no information about how to reserve the camping. Does anyone know?

Last time we had a choice of camping areas: Calm or Noisy.

I had to laugh as they ended up all the same.....

Anyway: Noisy for me and camping is the only way, As I seem to remember even before I had got my tent half up, I was invited by a family next door to help them finish off a 2 litre bottle of Ricard.

Glad I wasnt driving after all that shennanegans.
As a first-timer, I'm also having problems figuring out how to arrange camping. Any help/suggestions welcome.

Iain, if you back track this thread to the previous page you'll see I've left some information regarding who to contact about camping at Thenay.

Regards Brian.

Iain, if you back track this thread to the previous page you'll see I've left some information regarding who to contact about camping at Thenay.

Regards Brian.
Thanks, Brian. Despite my wife speaking/reading etc/fluent French, she described it as a total muddle - I paraphrase!

Hi Iain, yes looking forward to that too. There's a few Brits going, so we might have a small enclave at the campsite. Hope you get to book it okay.

Regards Brian.

We are booked on the tunnel on Thursday morning, with a 2 hour slog down to Rouen before we get on to the Route Nationales; Evreux, Dreux, Chartres, Chateaudun, Blois and Thenay. Should get to Thenay late Thursday afternoon and book in to our regular B&B. Finish the day with a chilled glass of rose- bliss.

Sounds good to me Becky. My mate and I don't arrive until Friday after an overnight stop at Saumur. Can't hammer Marigold you know ;-). Looking forward to sharing some vino with you and Derek.
Regards Brian.

Wish we could get there earlier than Friday evening now! With Brittany Ferries having revised their sailings we don't arrive at Cherbourg until 12.30 on Friday which leaves us 240 miles to do to Thenay on Friday afternoon before we get to the B&B so a quick go in the pool followed by a barrel of vin rouge might be the way of Friday evening :)

Van has been given the once over, new steering rack gator, tracking, four tyres and a service so we'll try and do a bit of mileage over the next month before the trip to Thenay.

Me and a few friends are coming from Italy, trying to organize a stand for our club... Surely shall have a beer together!
Planning to start driving tuesday morning as early as possible and reach a few friend along the road; dinner in Turin, than leaving again in the night till we can. Passing through the mountains because Frejus is too expensive and we need money to buy pieces ;)
Hoping to be ready at the gates for 14 o'clock.

Would it be worth those going exchanging phone numbers in case of problems, or just to meet up.
I understand people will be reluctant to put their details on a public forum, but could we start a PM list?

Good thinking! We did that in 2011 so probably worth doing again.

I did a list then and can easy do it now if wanted. If anyone who is going can PM me their username / name / mobile no / car reg then I'll send everyone who has sent me details a copy of the list.

That's a good idea for all you folks coming from the South of England and north of Watford Gap, but for me driving from the southwest, well I reckon I'll be alone, again. No problem with that though. See you all there.

Regards Brian.

Depends on your definition of 'good' I suppose but in 2011 I stayed at the Ibis Budget in Amboise which was clean, cheap and had secure parking although was a little basic. Back road to Thenay allowed exploration of the handling characteristics of an F6 as well :)

I might stay there next year although I might be tempted to stay somewhere a little bit more luxurious as Mrs Lobster is coming and its also a week or so after my 40th so I reckon I'm due a treat!

If anyone does have any accommodation suggestions I'd be all ears too!
you could try the premier class at blois we stayed there for the last meeting about 20k from site

Back