Clementine's Garage
Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

5 speed gearbox

Lobster

Enthusiast
I've seen mentions of 5 speed boxes for R4s in a few places and its something that I've wondered about for my F6. So whats the deal with having a 5 speed R4? Does it use a modified mk1 R5 box?

More information if anyone would be so kind!

http://www.renault4.co.uk/gordini-gearbox.htm

Malcolm has been there and done it, Derek at Renospeed F6 has a 5 speed as well.

I think is mainly for the 5th gear to relax on cruising in the modern day, as doing the M3 with my Rene was not fun at playing it safe at 50mph and having the engine screaming when you do push it to the national speed limit.

Interesting, thanks.

It was mainly the trip to Thenay and back that made me think about it. F6 is working pretty hard at 65 on the motorway and a fifth gear would make it altogether more civilised and suitable for distances.

The 4th gear of the GTL gearbox has the same ratio of the 5th gear of a mk1 r5... Just one more gear for the uphills where, usually, the 4th is a bit too much and the 3rd is definitely too stretched...
Different is thee case for the 956 gearbox...

There are 2 different boxes. Mk1 R5 GTL has a 5 speed box with higher ratios than the R5 TX. On the TX 5th gear is a similar ratio to the 4th gear in the R4 GTL. I'm not sure if the R4 van has lower ratios than the R4 GTL.

I'm using the R5 GTL box in the Gordini. 5th gear is a good for cruising but 3rd is too high for messing around on back roads. Don't think the 1108cc engine would pull the high ratio. Might swap for a TX gearbox. I'm building a TX at the moment so I'll see what that's like first.

The R4 van does have lower ratios than the GTL and hence doing any speed (such as it is) can be a bit noisy in a van. I do have a spare GTL gearbox as it happens so it might just be better to put that in at some point.

The lower ratios on the van is anyway linked to the lower compression of the engine?
This argument sounds quite interesting to me, cause I think I am going to "enlarge my engine" from 956 to 1108, fitting new pistons and stuff. But my tl engine has a compression of 8,3 while the GTL engine has a compression of 9,5, and my mechanic is not sure we can reach that precise value... so I am wondering what will happen if I end with a 1108 engine with a lower compression than the original GTL...

The lower ratios on the van is anyway linked to the lower compression of the engine?

Could be yes. My van has an engine from an R5 anyway (+ R5 carb etc) so it shouldn't be a problem to fit the GTL gearbox in that case?

I think it shouldn't be a problem, even if the van is a bit heavier than the limousine...

I had a R4 GTL engine and gearbox in my van. Was fine.

I downloaded a copy of the 354/HA1 gearboxes from the French R4 club forum, which was quite enlightening about gear ratios...
There actually were 3 final drives for the 5-speed box, 3,1:1 (like on 4 GTL), 3,44:1 (R4 956) and 4,125:1 (like on F6). 1st, 2nd, 3rd are exactly the same ratios as on the 4-speed, 4th is slightly lower and 5th is taller than our 4th (overdrive at 0,949:1). This one with a 3,1:1 final drive would make a really long-legged top gear, only suitable for descents with the normal GTL engine. Or perhaps would be suited to a GTL with the Hennessey hot-up kit.

The final drive on the F6s was the lowest available (4,125:1), simply because the van had to haul 400kg of load, and start on steep inclines loaded... So Lobster, you may se impressive difference by simply fitting a 956 gearbox (like Andrea's) with the 3,44:1 final drive. I guess GTL's 3,1:1 final drive may be too tall for the F6s aerodynamics, but then you already have an R5 engine and may prove itself fine...

Back