Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

A Flap of Plein Airs on eBay

malcolm

& Clementine the Cat
(Title edited - used to be "Flock")
What is the collective noun for Plein Airs anyway? I've never had cause to use one until now. There are rumoured to be between 2 and 4 Plein Airs in the UK (depending on whose advert you read), and 2 of them are on eBay at the moment.

There is a red one belonging to Stuart

And a Yellow one - possibly the one advertised on eBay earlier in the year or possibly the 4th UK Plein Air.

Both Auctions end Tuesday 22nd September 2005

Wow!
The yellow one is not the same one that was on ebay earlier in the year, so there are 4 (at least)

What is the collective noun for Plein Airs anyway?

The Oxford dictionary suggests flap as the correct collective noun, thus: Cor blimey guv'nor, a flap of Plein Airs, not everyday you see one of those' etc. The origin of the word is believed to be in some way related to the roof, and is of course also used to refer to Series 1 Land Rovers, Citroen Meharis, and anything elligible for the Brighton run (pre-1905).

Brilliant! I didn't expect an authorative answer to that one. Can you really look up collective nouns for obscure motor cars in there?

I fell for an April fool this year as well.

I like the idea of a flap of Plein Airs. I feel it we adopt this whenever we see more than one of them together then maybe it would become "common use" and qualify for the Oxford dictionary.

You guys who buy the Plein airs - make friends with each other and go see the other Plein Air owners - give us a chance with this.

I like the idea of a flap of Plein Airs. I feel it we adopt this whenever we see more than one of them together then maybe it would become "common use" and qualify for the Oxford dictionary.

That sounds good to me - henceforth let it be correct English to describe a group of them as a flap. The question it raises, of course, is what do you call a group of more conventionally-bodied R4s? A roll perhaps? Some people might suggest a corrosion of Renault 4s (although they would be wrong, of course), others might prefer to say a bounce, or even a lean... I think the matter ought to be resolved before anarchy sets in!

Collective R4s

:yellowre:
There must be a French word to describe a collection of R4s. I've always loved the word 'mignon' = delightful, charming. It is a term of affection like pet, darling or dear. Also 'un auto super mignon' is a good looking car. So a mignon of R4s would be good.

I would have thought that La Poste would have told you that 'plein air' just means open air and could presumably apply to any soft topped car.

That's a good suggestion. I'd be up for using Mignon, but isn't it really an adjective? I worry that the OED would give us a hard enough time for using a foreign word as our collective noun. Using a foreign adjective might just make their heads explode.

By the way, have you seen who's bidding for the yellow car? Looks like he's trying to work his way into his own personal flap.

:yellowre:

Yes, Clementine. You are very well educated for a stripy cat!

I'd still like to keep to the French theme. What about a coup (flap) or a troupeau (flock)? I like alliteration myself - a roulard of Renaults.
'Roulard' (roll) is already in the dictionary.

Just to say that my car, the red one, is now sold and on its way to sunny Brighton...lets hope the new owner does more with it than I ever did...

Anyone been to see the yellow one? would like to know more about it...

I own a '68 Plein Air as well. It has all the "Torpedo Plein Air" Badges by Sinpar, and I am currently finishing it's restauration. If someone explains me how to, I can post a few images. At this moment I am considering to purchase a 3-speed '67 Fourgonnette (Van) with the first front and dashboard. That would be a nice project when the plein Air is finished, and a fine addition to my collection, which further comprises a '61 R3, a '63 R4 Super, a '66 4L and a '68 Parisienne.

Stuart's old car is back on eBay, though the starting price seems enthusiastic. Seems there are only 2 genuine RHD cars now - was there an explosion at the most recent plein air flap?

Boerammetje - to post photos use the attach photographs button in the additional options section below where you type your post, browse your computer to find a photo, then press the upload button. The photo should appear below your post.

Feel free to use the gallery too - click on my albums to the top left, create an album and add photos to it. Would be good to see your new collection.

He started it off at £4500 but it didn't sell. Yesterday it was re-listed at £4150; this morning the price has gone up to a tad under £7000. Hopefully a typing error.....

It's a bit of psychology, Steve. A higher price makes it seem more desirable and, beating down the price a thousand or so, the buyer thinks he has a bargain!

I've asked Santa for it but Mr B thinks it'll be a pair of slippers I'm getting! :wink:

Back