Clementine's Garage
Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

Cam chain tensioner

just taken pics now phone wont connect to pc will send pic to your mobile if needed
kit part no7701461100 contains back plate chain hydraulic tensioner gaskets bolt spacers etc and a gauze to fit in oil feed hole in block yours will have brass plug

ps dont remember posting info b4 about tensioner mod did you do a search

will post kit to you£25 + post

• IMAGE_021.jpg
    IMAGE_021.jpg
    65.2 KB · Views: 143
Last edited:
Paul you are a life saver!.
Mobile 07753608750
Text or phone with your details and I'll send the money down to you, or Email if you prefer.
apike@staffmail.ed.ac.uk
Yep, did a search and you mailed someone a while ago saying you thought there was a modification kit Renault had produced because of this cam chain tensioner problem.
The plug that's in the block looks like it's aluminium, can you remember if it's meant to be removed completely or a hole drilled in it?. No matter really, I'll figure it out when I see the kit.
Thanks again Paul, yoo da man!
Alan.

Paul,
Got the parcel this morning, efficient royal mail. Your address was on the box.
Off to get my hands dirty, fun fun fun!.
Missus writing a cheque right now.

Thanks, Alan.

All done and dusted, what a difference, almost quiet now, well, for a 4TL that is. The standard carb fitted and now idles smoothly, came up the big hill on the Edinburgh bypass this morning at 50mph and it didn't lose any speed at all, and my foot wasn't on the floor either. Thanks to all for their input, and to Paul for coming up with the goods!.
What's next?, hhhmmm, fit that Mikuni carb again methinks.
No other R4ists in the Edinburgh area?, I know there's a guy in Torphican has one, and the shiney red one used to deliver Pizza around Clark St?, haven't seen that one for a while.
Alan.

A related question: a 845cm3 engine from 77 model-
chain tensioner
-shall the shoe get stucked when i tighten the both bolts of the tensioner body to the engine?
- if i leave one bolt somewhat loose the shoe glides nicely in and out but if i tighten both bolts up to 100% then it seem to get stucked.This is of course the situation without any oil pressure in the tensioner-anyone knowing if it will work satisfactorily when running the motor.

mikä virka muuten on sillä polttoainepumpun palautusjousella, joka on vivun päällä pumpun alla nokka-akselin puolella?(poikkeentunut jossakin vaiheessa?) mistä ja mihin hintaan uutta pumppua taikka ko osia?

No, it must slide easily. There is a small sheet metal plate behind the tensioner, about 1,5mm thick, could this be missing and cause the tensioner shoe to make contact with the backplate?

Hi,
I'm pretty sure Angel is correct, and for sure it should move in and out easily. I had to strip mine, even though it was brand new, to clean a fine layer of rust which had accumulated after all those years on a shelf somewhere. So you may want to have a look at yours?,
Alan.

Back