Clementine's Garage
Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

Clutch release shaft removal 83 GTL

John M

Enthusiast
My clutch release shaft is very stiff. I tried WD40 sprayed over the offending bearings but no luck.

I finally got my gearbox out and am now looking at removing the relsase shaft. The actuating fork is fastened to the shaft with what looks like two pins arrowed in the picture below.

Are they pins that have been driven in and if so how does one get them out?

Thanks chaps.Untitled.jpg

Panic over. I managed to free the little blighter. The oilite bush was stuck on the shaft and turning in the bell housing. You can just see a bit of it sticking out on the left hand side of the shaft in the picture above. I used a brass drift to move it along the shaft and after a couple of goes it suddenly came free. I just have to decide which grease to lubricate it with now, and wait for the new clutch to arrive. The old one is in very good condition and it is tempting to leave it alone but I reckon that would be false econnomy. I don't want all the palava of gearbox out again.

I believe that oilite bushes are sintered brass impregnated with oil, so should never need extra lubricant. Exposed grease etc in a bell-housing is asking for trouble what with all the clutch dust that will be accumulated - probably why oilite bushes were used. Even if the oilite bush is in fact a plain brass one, I would be very wary of grease in there, it's going to clag up.

Don't forget to replace the thrust bearing, and hopefully also replace the crankshaft and camshaft oil seals while the gearbox is out (always reassemble with a smear of silicone around the outside of the seal to fill any scratches in the castings!). The flywheel will need removing to get to the oil seals, but it's no big deal - just stick to the re-torquing figures and note the position (there will be a locating peg to mate with a hole to fit it back in place correctly). Clean everything.

Nothing worse than having to do the same job twice if something lets go a little way down the road........

Indeed Adam. I have some waterproof grease for marine use that I will use on the outside of the bell housing. Back in the day we used to keep the sintered bronze bearings in a bath of oil ready to use. I guess there won't be much oil left in my bearing since it went in in 1983.

Back