Clementine's Garage
Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

emergency Front towing-hook/point...

reidalpine

Enthusiast
Hi gang! I haven't needed it yet(knock on wood)so havent looked for it,but isnt there a towing-hook or point under there in the front at all ??
-I've got the trailer-hitch in the rear so am well catered-for there, but it would be nice to have or know Where its at in the front too,as the love-handles or goat-horns as they're referred to officially are too weak as is the front-bumper.
I'm not sure how strong the front-frame is -especially if hooked up to only one of them-likewise the front traverse (Napoleons-hat) isn't exactly heavy-duty either..
-Would it be best to use the traversing-pipe under the motor? A real hassle to get access to when in a ditch maybe?
Or do I just need stronger glasses as it's already there ?:eek: -R.

I messed up my front bumper when I had problems with the fuel tank breather. I was so annoyed and I have against my best judgement tied a rope around the front bumper and obiously messed it up.
Later I've tied a rope to a tie rod (also not a good idea but everything went well) because "pipe under the engine" is not accessible.

In the revised Haynes manual there is a picture of a towing 'hook', which is a thick piece of sheet metal with a hole in it. It is bolted to the chassis where the supports for the front bumper are. But I've not seen such a towing hook on any of the R4s I've looked at! I wonder if it's a Renault part that is still available or whether someone with the skills (not me!) could make a batch of them. I will try to scan/photo the picture in the book.

This would be it, it's a bad photo but it doesn't seem to be complicated to fabricate.

towing.png

That's it! Thanks for that picture. Has anyone ever seen one of these?

I'd certainly pay for one (or two?) if anyone fancies making some ;)

Hi all! I have to crawl under there to have another good look,but dont think I have it either.Can't find it in either of my orig.pt catalogues either.
-This seems a job for Malcolm Metal&FabricationLtd.

as we all know, he now has all too much idle-time on his hands c",) -R.

I have one of these towing eyes, but it is of a slightly different design. It came off a German-spec R4 and was fitted on the rear bumper mounts. I am fairly sure all of them had been fitted there. (after all the R4 is more likely to tow than being towed!! ;-) ).

It would be a piece of cake to make such a part, may I ask some sheet metal processing companies about cost?

I have one of these towing eyes, but it is of a slightly different design. It came off a German-spec R4 and was fitted on the rear bumper mounts. I am fairly sure all of them had been fitted there. (after all the R4 is more likely to tow than being towed!! ;-) ).

It would be a piece of cake to make such a part, may I ask some sheet metal processing companies about cost?

Hi Agelos-If you get a price I'm in for one as mine isn't there either. I'm pretty sure Renault took the front ones off as the R4 was considered to never ever needing towing:p -R.

I thought that a towing hook that can be mounted both on the front and on the rear bumper mounting points would be nice for everyone.
So the shape is like the one pictured in the Haynes manual, but with an approximate 30 degree offset below the fixing bolts. If it was straight, it would be useless up front, as it would not clear the lower chassis rails.
Thickness will be 4mm, more than enough for the job (except maybe if someone is ambitious enough to tow a Unimog :-D ).
We have the choice of either stainless steel, or zinc-plated steel. In the first case price will be 14 euros per piece, in the second one price will be 11 euros per piece.
I expect postage to be around 7,00 euros for one and 11,00 euros for a pair.

What do you think? May I proceed with having them made?

YES!!-Count me in for one Angel (I'd go for stainless if enough people go for these to make it viable)
-price sounds Very fair to me! c",) -R

PS: Bring some along to Thenay as well -I'm sure they will be eagerly picked-up

Count me in for a pair Angel. I also prefer the stainless steel option - cost difference is marginal and anything that reduces corrosion opportunities is a Good Thing.

Count me in for one for the front, if I remember correctly you're coming to Thenay then would it be OK to collect it from you then?

I'd also bring a whole load along to sell if I were you ;)

OK, so I am going to have a batch of them made, and I guess they will be ready by the end of next week.
Yes, I plan to go to Thenay, but I can post them too to anyone interested as soon as I have them in my hands.

That has to be a very good proof of R4's legendary reliability...we only started thinking about non-existent towing hooks some 50 years after its introduction!

I'd like a pair please. But in no hurry, so if someone from the UK fancies getting a pair for me and posting in the UK (or in the case of Malcolm, maybe I could pick them up as I'm quite close!) I'd be very grateful (sadly not able to go to Thenay).

Thanks in advance!

Jonathan

Jonathon, if Malcolm can't do it then I'll be able to.

I would like a stainless steel one too!
I am going to Thenay, but I prefer to have it delivered...
So when we meet in France the towing hook will be our distinctive sign (if the rally plate will not be enough...).
Let me know what I have to do.

Back