Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

flasher unit/relay

Grenuj

Enthusiast
Hi guys...
What is the flash rate for R4 1982 (3 plug connections)?
I barely passed vehicle inspection.. not correct number of cycles (“on” and “off” time) in one minute.
I have to fix it for the next one periodic vehicle inspection.
notes:
The flasher relay make only one "click-click" noises when I turn indicator on.. and make only one visible pilot indicators on the dash.
Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Hmm. I would say relay is ok but your current draw isn't.
I would first check your recently changed light bulbs for wattage, bad wiring and corrosion before changing your relay. And check fuse and fuseholder as well.

good suggestion @Crelesy , I'll check the wires and grounded.
The hazard warning flasher works slower, but turn signal flasher (left or right) works fast - almost continuously.. :confused:

U.K. M.O.T. tests require the flashing rate to be between 60-120 flashes permute. I'd check the earths on the bulbs and the flasher unit and if that doesn't fix it, fit a new flasher unit. Old ones do wear out.

Interesting! Section 4.4.4. of my rule book, updated on 30th Oct 2019, states:

4.4.4. Flashing frequency
Indicators must flash at between 60 and 120 times per minute. Semaphore type direction indicators do not need to flash.

Defect Category
(a) Rate of flashing not between 60 and 120 times per minute Minor

It's possible that there may have been a subsequent update, removing the flashing rate.

Aside from the regulations, an indicator flashing more quickly than 120 per minute would appear pretty odd, anyway. Similarly a rate slower than 60 would appear slow to an ordinary driver, leave alone a M.O.T. tester.

Ah, ok. In that case, it's been reinstated. It was dropped at the same time that a few new things were added, (possibly April/May 2018?). I think it must have been omitted by mistake and then reinstated by the time your update was produced.

Hi guys...
What is the flash rate for R4 1982 (3 plug connections)?
I barely passed vehicle inspection.. not correct number of cycles (“on” and “off” time) in one minute.
I have to fix it for the next one periodic vehicle inspection.
notes:
The flasher relay make only one "click-click" noises when I turn indicator on.. and make only one visible pilot indicators on the dash.
Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!
I had a similar problem where it would make one or no click. Changed the relay and now all is well.

"(There's) no such thing as a stupid question" :ashamed:
Can I use 24v appliances in a R4 that is based on a 12v system??

• Automat migavca.JPG
    Automat migavca.JPG
    104.3 KB · Views: 1
I wouldn't have thought so, as the voltage will be too low to switch the circuit from one side to the other. Worth trying, though, just to see...........

I tried this flasher (24V), it didn't work. Problem, now it doesn't work with the previous flasher!
help please... :doh:

With only half the voltage supplied the amp draw doubles . Maybe you only fried a fuse. Not likely but possible.

@Crelesy correct diagnosis.
Fuse has blown. 2 more after.. now with 12V flasher.
reason??

• IMG_0020.JPG
    IMG_0020.JPG
    277.7 KB · Views: 0
@Andrew4Renaults , yes.
What kind of short could cause these problems?
I disassembled flasher relay.. i tried to repair, maybe I damage something.
I have to replace it.

Maybe flasher fried...
Should check wiring now first. If there is some bad contact or some other resistance somewhere you are operating the flasher with lower voltage or higher load. Thus more amps again. Or the flasher is yust fried or incorrectly wired.

At mine '75 the wiring goes via the warning switch. If something is wrong over there every thing goes wrong. Don't know about newer ones.

Beep the wires and check for shorted wires.. its a bit difficult to diagnose from a distance...

Back