Clementine's Garage
Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

flasher unit/relay

A 5 amp fuse is correct, as the 2 bulbs are 21 watts each, making 42 watts in total, which is under 4 amps. As to why the fuse keeps blowing, I wonder if, by taking the flasher apart, you have bent a piece of it and its shorting out onto the frame of the flasher, thus blowing the fuse. DON'T be tempted to but a higher rated fuse in, as you might cause a fire!

I'd buy a new flasher unit if I were you-you're going to have to in the end!

I could probably find that part in Bosnia, Banja Luka.

If you have someone traveling from Bosnia to your place I could send it to you?

I don't think there's an export ban on flasher units at the moment.... I'm happy to post one from the U.K., if that helps.

no one store has flasher with 3 pin.
I'll try to fix the old one...he worked before opening.. :dontknow:
perhaps the relay is touching the case..

continuity check, I have result in a loud beep..two pin (L & X) are electrically connected.
is it correct??

• IMG_0021.JPG
    IMG_0021.JPG
    160.6 KB · Views: 4
That's correct. But there must be some risistance for it is a spool.
X is +, L is load(to the indicator switch and then to the actual lightbulbs and P is for the dashlight. X could allso come from the emergency lights switch. ( Still a +)
I don't know your years scematics...

I suspect your fuse blowing problem is because the bimetallic strip is touching the metal casing of the unit, thus earthing the 12 volts from terminal "X" & therefore blowing the fuse. You might be able to rearrange this, by g-e-n-t-l-y bending the strip a little away from the case, and using your meter to check there's no longer a dead short.

no short circuit, i checked it (tested with a multimeter, case and L or X between pair of probes - not connected).. thanks anyway @Andrew4Renaults ..
I must check contact resistance to diagnose relay problems. Anywhere from 50-120 ohms is OK?
Probably time for a new relay.. but not available in Montenegro. :dontknow:

Replacing old flasher unit with modern relay?
this one is available in stores, 3.5EUR.

• IMG_0036.JPG
    IMG_0036.JPG
    92.9 KB · Views: 3
  • e flasher relay.jpg
    e flasher relay.jpg
    38 KB · Views: 3
Replacing old flasher unit with modern relay?
this one is available in stores, 3.5EUR.
This one ought to work properly. Connect the 49 terminal to the fused feed, the 31 to a good earth & the 49a to the indicator switch and it ought to work perfectly!

This flasher unit is mainly for VW cars with a different flasher / switch layout. You won't have indicator light by using this flasher unit, plus, you have to modify the plug. The "L - P - X" type is extremely popular and used on almost all cars, I wonder why you can't find it in your country.

I was chatting with a guy running an automotive electric parts shop, and he told me "...I wonder what to do with these thermal flasher units...I have around three thousands of them"!

If bimetallic strip is touching the case and shorting out when in use, testing it when disconnected may not show the short.

Back