Clementine's Garage
Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

Front Bearing and Steering Rack

RichardIRL

Enthusiast
I have no experience with mechanics, but if the front bearing and steering rack were causing problems, would these be easily fixed?

The front wheel bearings should be reasonably easy. Following the procedure for removing brake discs in http://www.renault4.co.uk/tech-brake-discs.htm should give access to the bearings. You'll probably need a hub puller to remove the old bearings. Although I'm not sure if I've ever had to replace any.

I'd be inclined to fit a secondhand (or even new) steering rack if there is wear. I think you can get to everything to unbolt it without removing anything else - might need a ball joint extractor if you are replacing the track rod ends with the rack (easiest).

The main thing that wears in the racks is the Nearside plastic bush. If the rest of the rack is OK, just buy the kit from Renaults.

Steve

Thanks a million. I wanted to know because of a Renault 4 I am trying to find a new owner for. The ad is in the for sale section of this site now.

Nearside plastic bush kit

Hi steve,
Just wondering how much roughly would such a kit cost and what would i be asking for? a nearside plastic bush kit for a 1988 F4?
Thanks
nicky

Hello Nicky,
Take your chassis numbers and especially the oval plate number to your local Renault Garage (or phone Whitehouse Renault if your local delearship is unfriendly!) and ask for a nearside steering rack bush kit. They were around £11 and hopefully will still be available. The rack needs to be removed and dismantled to fit it - not a difficult job if you know what you're doing! If they are no longer available then you'll need to get a secondhand rack. The same rack is also used on the Mk1 5's if that's any help.
Good luck
Steve

STEVE, GREAT INFORMATION
I have an R 4 rack in a 1969 Italian car. I understand that the same unit, but with different ratio was later used by Renault. Is that true? If so what model is it? I would like to change the ratio, that is make it faster.

The above repair could be made with a bronze or brass bush instead of plastic.

Please answer to my email as I have limited computer access.

dickruzzindesign@aol.com

Back