Clementine's Garage
Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

GTL Gearbox required...

SteveC

MrToureteMasterSignwriter
Equidistant between Beaconsfield and Marlow (....High Wycombe )
Hello All.

Im on the look out for a 4 speed gearbox from a car to fit to my F6 van.

Its never heavy and id like the longer final drive ratio to make 70mph cruising slightly less frought! I dread to think how many revs its doing on a dual carrigeway at the moment.

If anyone has a sutible gearbox (most likely from a GTL) then please get in touch.

Many thanks.

Steve

Im still on the look out for a GTL Gearbag if anyone finds one at the side of the road.....

Thanks all

Where in the UK are you? I could do an incomplete GTL gearbox (sans top cover) if you fancied picking up from Bedford.

Hi Malcolm, im only in Northampton so this could be ideal.

Is it a good runner with a top cover fitted? or has if been opened up to investigate a problem?

I had hoped to have a complete box i could swap into my van, keeping the van box complete so i can return it to standard later, but if the top cover needs transferring then thats what ill have to do. Its an easy job i assume? They dont explode into a million pieces as soon as the cover is removed do they?

I'd no idea you were that close - your profile only shows UK. Drop in for a cup of tea some time.

I actually have 2 spare GTL gearboxes. The one without the top cover is from a Spanish built GTL which drove OK. I pinched the cover for my Gordini project. Don't recall anything exploding. The other is from a spares car that came with a siezed engine and the box hasn't been tried and I've not really looked at it. Both boxes are in my little shed so pop over and we can have a look. I'll send contact details by private message.

seem to remember that some springs poke out from front end of box that hold ball bearings for selectors in place
will probably take a couple of attempts to line gearstick up to refit top cover

have just tried (unsucesfully):( to find my 354/ HA0/HA1 renault workshop manual as it lists the various ratios fitted to R4/5/6/7 as by now malcolm will have lost the ID tag :)
even the 5sp HA1 box has 2 different final drive ratios GTLis taller than TS/TX

I didn't realise the HA1 (5 speed) was available with more than one ratio. But yes you are right. A choice of 4.13:1 or 3.44:1. And right again I have lost the ID plate from mine, but I understand it was from a TX which is low ratio.

Pity as I intend to do a great deal of trans-continental cruising where a 5th gear ratio higher than the Renault 4 GTL 5th gear would be handy. I've been half tempted to try fitting a Renault 4 GTL final drive in there which would give me more flexibility on tyre profile (though if you happen to have any R5 GTL HA1s kicking about do shout).

For fun (now I've looked it up), the HA0 gearbox in the Renault 4 GTL final drive ratio is 3.1:1 and the F6 van is 4.125:1 which is the same as all the 850 and 750 cars.

oh dear malcolm ,i may have been tempted to have said something b4 but guessed you had already done your research
all this r4 stuff is taking my fading memory back 20 yrs when i was playing with swapping stuff around 4s 5s 6s 7s

have VERY recently thrown at least 10 gearboxes in the scrap (just before Stevec asked :eek:)as they were from my barn owning friends store and being unmarked and condition unknown felt safest to discard
there are at least another 8 in his barn though
i do still have a good 1300 5 gtl engine bolted to 5sp box in my lockup at home which if i had my book could tell you what ratio it is

where did you get your info from ? haynes book is fairly general and does not go into id tag (suffix) detail

as a matter of interest and not too far off topic ihave found the official renault gearbox manual that covers the gordini box 385-12 in my yellow peril and it has 8x31 (3.875)diff with 36x31(0.861) 5th gear

if you have got the figures for your g/boxes and tyre sizes using this site
http://www.f-body.org/gears/
you should be able to work it all out

my figures come up with 58 mph at 3000 rpm for my yellow peril
most modern cars are geared to aprox 70-80mph at 3000 rpm (better for fuel economy but less acceleration )

have you followed all this Stevec as you wouldnt want to put the wrong box in would you :D

ps i thought i had a gordini turbo box in my car so we all make mistakes:rolleyes:

I think I had assumed the TX gearbox was 3.44:1. I did some calculations back in the day that suggested a standard GTL on 135 tyres would return 60.3mph in 4th for every 3000rpm, and a 3.44 ratio HA1 gearbox would return 60.4 in 5th (but only if it were fitted with 145 tyres).

With a slight fiddle to the calcs the HA1 ought to be good for 65.3mph at 3000rpm if a R4 GTL diff were to find it's way in there which would be reasonable for trans-continental cruising. I'm guessing it will fit, but there's only one way to find out (unless anyone knows the answer already).

You've confused me now. I'm going out to the shed to count rotations.

But I reckon we've confused Steve even more. Was there more than one diff ratio fitted to the Renault 4 1108 saloon?

If anyone wants to work out gear ratios final drive ratios and tyre ratios here's an ace site I found when trying to work out the gearing of my VW bus diesel engine conversion.

http://www.geocities.com/motorcity/garage/1811/

Its a fantastic little tool for people who like to know these type of things.

Kind Regards Richard.

poor Steve he only asked for a gearbox :(

if we get any more technical in this thread you will have to move this one as well !!

i reckon Angel will have the info we all need but he may not be reading this section :wink:
pretty sure there was more than one diff ratio for 1108 type 354 as went into this long time ago for my 1300 r5 race car (wasnt allowed 5sp box :( )

as far as i know the pinion for final drive is part of the main shaft so swapping diffs wont be possible

i found several sites for gear calculations (thank you for yours Pepper)
loads were aimed at 4wd and this one even asks for body weight and drag coefficient http://www.perfectshifting.com/
kind of useful for Santa Pod though :D

Hi Paul,
Do you know if there are any altternative final drive ratios for the 845cc engine?, little Rene gets a bit highly strung over 50mph!
Alan.

Unfortunately I don't have any R5 data...

I always thought there were two final drives for the 1100 R4s, low for the fourgonettes and high for the saloons. Was the saloon offered with the low C/P (4,125:1) of the fourgon? Maybe the 956cc?

bison's question is interesting. All 845cc R4s had one (4,125:1) final drive. But what about the 845cc 5s and 6s?

if only i could find my renault gearbox manual ! questions questions questions

Hi Bison ,i do have a brand new 845 r5 box spose i could count the teeth ?

i did have a quick look at my pr 900 parts book which lists some f6(R2370)as using same box as 4gtl (R1128)
all depends on last bit of id tag 354-**
tried google did find an electonic pdf copy of UN1 V6 box but nothing R4 related
did come up with http://www.carfolio.com/specifications/models/?man=5406
which does list diff ratios for most models we are interested in

Mr Reno,
Come to think of it I'm sure I have a haynes manual for an R5 somewhere, I'll have a look in the Tardis (attic) and see if I can locate it, if however you happen to fall over said R5 box then please do count the teeth on the diff.
Bison.

According to Mr Haynes the type 354 gearbox was offered with 3.62:1 or 4.23:1 ratios, but it was fitted to a whole load of R5 models and doesn't mention which one is which.

Also direction of rotation might be an issue - the 845 is mentioned as a backwards rotating engine, but the box looks like it's used on engines spinning the right way by repositioning the diff.

Found a tag on my Spanish GTL box BTW - it's an HAO 97. Fairly sure the tag for the HA1 is with the bolts for the top cover. Not sure where they are though. Might be in for a bit of gear counting myself. :D

Does the number 97 mean anything or is it just a lookup number?

Malcolm and Mr Reno,
Ah yes, the question of turning the diff round, it doesn't!. On Saturday Dave and I took the gearbox out of his 1976 845 to replace it with a new box (see previous posts), the new box had the diff the other way round, and it doesn't just spin round, I had to strip the crownwheel assembly and mainshaft from the old box and fit it to the new one. Same number on the box ID tag etc, I wonder if it was for a Carvelle or dauphine?.
If the 354 is fitted to the R5 it might be the 3.6 ratio was for the 950, and as such would be the "other way round" ?. I seem to remember my box in Rene being a 358?
I love a bit of a mystery!

Back